A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Ford Taurus: I turn key on and nothing, lights, radio dash

Customer Question

I turn key on and nothing, lights, radio dash lights all work, windows work power door locks work, it just makes a quick clicking sound, I moved the shifter from Park to N, then to D and then R. and back to Park still nothing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Does it make the fast clicking sound from under the hood or under the dash?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like it is coming from under the hood, I hear it when I turn the key to on before trying to start the engine.

The problem is your starter has failed. The clicking noise is the bendix trying to engauge the flywheel to turn the engine over. Replace the starter to fix the problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I need to try and explain I think a little better, when you turn the key to the first notch I hear a steady thumping noise not a clicking and when you turn the key further to start the engine there is no sound at all.

What engine do you have in the 2005 Taurus?

3.0L two valve

3.0L four valve
Is it a fast thumping noise or a slow thumping noise?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is a fast thumping noise and how can I find out if it is a 2 or 4 valve. I used the car yesterday and it was just fine, it has 90,000 miles on it and it is full of oil. all gauges work, I only fine it saying 3.OL, it is not a hrybrid car.

Look and see if the spark plugs are in the in the valve covers or near the exhaust manifolds.

The 4 valve engine has the spark plugs in the valve covers.

The 2 valve engine has the spark plugs near the exhaust manifolds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Spark plugs are right near the exhaust manifolds, are we having fun yet, I know that I'am

Ok. You have the 3.0L two valve engine. Can you tell whether the noise is from the passenger side or the drivers side of th engine area?

I need you to help isolate the location of the noise, basically be my ears and eyes since I cannot physically see your Taurus.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hear we go, the noise seems to be coming from the drivers side, the air cleaner on the drivers side with a rubber hose, which mounts in the back of the throttle body, there is a bracket that sits on the side with two cables running into it, that seems to be were the clicking noise is coming from

Can you see it in the picture below.

graphic

Also, have you had the battery tested to make sure it can start the vehicle and has the proper voltage. Any auto parts store will do this for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I see it in the picture, it is the black box in front of the rubber hose and it has two cables coming out of it, one cable has a white tip on it. we did not have the battery tested because we had no reason to, the car ran fine,

graphic

Are you talking about the item circled in yellow?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes that's the box, the sounds seem to be coming from that box, when I turn the key on all the way to start the engine there is nothing not even the clicking sounds

That is just a cover for the throttle body. Remove the cover and watch the throttle cable and the cruise control cable that attach to the throttle body under the cover. See if the cruise control cable is pulling the throttle open. Also, I would recommend having the battery tested. It can fail instanly and without warning. Batteries don't alwys die slowly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We will do it in the am, if the cruise control cable is not pulling the throttle open what is next for us. and we will have the battery tested tomorrow. What am I looking out for

There is a CCA rating on the top of your battery. Either 590 CCA or 650 CCA. CCA stands for Cold Cranking Amps. If the cruise control servo is pulling the cable and the thrttle body is causing the noise, it could be a voltage problem.
Goodnight. I'll talk to you tomorrow. I'll get an email when you reply back. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. It depends on how busy the dealership is tomorrow.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

In regards XX XXX 2005 taurus, we did not really have the issues that we spent the night talking about, it seems it was just loose battery cables, car is starting and running just great, Thank you

Battery cables, battery and voltage will cause many problems on these newer vehicles. There is basically a module for almost everything. Low voltage will cause a module to not power up.

But glad to hear you fixed the problem.