Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

f 250: 2008 ford f250 6.4 ran out of fuel engine shut off filled

Customer Question

2008 ford f250 6.4 ran out of fuel engine shut off filled fuel tank with 5 gallons cranked started and shut off 3 times then would not spin with starter put new batteries and still nothing went key is in start postion
Category: Ford
Expert:  roush665 replied 1 year ago.

roush665 :

After you filled the fuel tank with diesel did you cycle the key to on position (not start) 10 times before turning the key to start position (cranking engine over)? If not, you have air in the high pressure and low pressure fuel systems , this can be a hassle to get the air out. Ford makes a bleeder tool to install on the fuel cooler to bleed the air out . Since you dont have this you are stuck doing it the old fashioned way. On the left side of the engine you will see the fuel cooler the front line with the shrader valve is the first one to work with you should cycle your key about ten times each time leaving in the run position for 20 seconds, then depress the schrader valve to bleed air from the system . You should repeat this until no air comes out and only fuel comes out the valve. Then cycle the key about ten more times each time leaving the key on for 20 seconds. Then repeat the procedure but this time loosen the rear fuel line bolt, about one turn just enough to let fuel and air out . Now tighten the bolt, and cycle the key about ten more times , and start truck.

Customer :

i can not get it to start any more the starter does not engage

roush665 :

Are you getting power to the starter?

roush665 :

The starter could have burnt out from all the cranking when trying to get the truck running again.

Customer :

no can put power at 87 on relay and starter turns i have bat power at 30 power at 85 in start positon but no ground on 86 whick comes from pcm i think

roush665 :

I am having constant issues with the website. Im going to work on figuring out if its my computer or the website itself. I will open this question up to all the experts rather then have you wait for me to sort out my technical difficulties. Hold on for a bit and another tech will help you out with your question (no additional cost).

Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX was there any wiring connectors disconnected during this repair? Do you have a scan tool to check for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing was unplugged just quit spinning over with the key