HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

econoline 350: I have a 1995 ford econoline 350 . The transmission

I have a 1995 ford econoline 350 . The transmission has problems however I am being told it may be the computer box. Is there a way to verify what thr problem is and are replacement computers available for 1995 econoline 350's
Yes aftermarket powertrain control modules are available but pretty much obsolete coming from a dealer. what kind of problem are you having and what codes are stored if any or are you having a communication problem with the pcm? What engine and trans is in this 350 a diesel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5.8L gas

E40 D transmission

We can't pull the codes it is not OBD2 ready

Ok its a gas engine, what type of issues are you having with the transmission? Is the fluid level full and red or does it look black and smell badly burnt? No engagement, missing upshifts? goes into neutral while driving?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Missing up shift goes to first and second then stays in second gear

Ok might be a problem with the trans range sensor on the side of the transmission indicating the trans is in manual 2nd gear range instead of OD range when moving the shifter. If the fluid doesnt smell burnt and is full and not black, I would suspect this component as they wear out over time and are adjustable. It is located on the drivers side of the transmission behind the shift linkage and runs around 60 bucks and will come with an updated electrical connector shell if not previously replaced. but before replacing parts I would suggest a scan for codes using a scan tool even though it is OBDI/ EEC IV this will eliminate other issues with other load input sensors such as Throttle position and/or mass air flow if equipped. Either it is an electrical fault or an mechanical failure in the trans which is usually indicated by the very badly burnt toast smell of the trans fluid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK we will check

Very good let me know if you need more information regarding the sensor. it is best to see having issues using a scan tool and monitioring the sensor input and wiggling the shifter and watching the voltage, if it is bad the voltage will roll around and change gear indication of each gear PRND21