Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

I am driving a 2013 Ford E-350 with 5.4L gas engine. I have

I am driving a 2013 Ford E-350 with 5.4L gas engine. I have had to have it towed 4 times. It has 1,350 miles on it. The engine will just suddenly shut down. It happened after the first 1,168 miles and then again at 1,247 miles and the third time at 1,647 miles. The fuel pump and driver module have been replaced. When the truck sits over night it will then start in the morning. What items could be heating up which would cause the engine to shut down? All lubricants, water, etc are at normal capacity. All engine indications are normal!

Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

This one is going to be tuff to diagnose not in person and without knowing some test results, but I will try, can I get the vin#?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Ford is not here right now, but the last numbers are 39996!

Do you have an insurance card with the vin# XXXXX it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not with me. I dont have any documantation with me with the vin# XXXXX is all in the vehicle at the Ford garage which is now closed for the day.

Can you respond tomorrow with it?

Also when this occurs does the engine crank but not start or does it not even crank?

When this occurs is the anti theft light flashing rapid fast?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Standby, I may have found a way to get the vin ##!

Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

VIN # XXXXX

Engine cranks very fast buts doesnt start!

Anti-theft light not flashing!!

The only repair on Ford so far is at 1168 miles on April 1st submit date. This time they replaced the pump. I assume the driver module was replaced on one of the later visits?

Have they checked the wiring or PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, they checked the PCM and did a wiring check. The only problem they found with the wiring was the ground wire for the pump was attached to the frame without removing the paint on the frame. The technician removed the paint and re-grounded the pump properly.

I assume the driver module was replaced on one of the later visits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it was replaced on April 2 after the second tow!

This is the first code you had stored.

graphic

I have no reason to believe there is a different trouble code stored. I believe you have an intermittent issue with the wiring that is causing the fuel pump to spike to max pressure and stay there which is causing the pump and or driver to fail. I believe your fix is going to be a new wire harness.

If you did not know, if a vehicle has the same issue 3 times and its not repaired, its declared a lemon.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks.

Thanks Chris
.
.