Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.

ford: i have a 2004 ford expedition. 175K miles. bad, bad whine

Customer Question

i have a 2004 ford expedition. 175K miles. bad, bad whine coming form the rear end area, especially on the highway. some have said needs new differnetial, some say look at the rear axle wheel bearings?? how hard is it to r + r a differential? cannot afford a $3000 repair job.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Customer:

the screen says you are typing?

Steve :

Sorry for the delay I am waiting for the instructions to hit my drop box.

Customer:

ok.

Steve :

To replace or r@r the rear end click here

Steve :

click on the blue words above.

Customer:

steve,

Steve :

Yes

Customer:

based on what you sent me, you believe this is the problem? not axle bearings? we do not experience any binding doing slow turns which we have had before (early on with the vehicle) and one of the axle bearings was bad. can you please send 205-01, 205-05, 204-05?

Steve :

It sounds like to me the pinion bearing is bad and it needs to be replaced in the rear end. Ford does have a lot of concerns with this.

Customer:

pinion bearing only? that would still require complete diff removal and then remove rear cover (after draing fluid). and then??

Steve :

Yes that is correct basically over haul the rear end. I usually replace all bearings clean the rear end up, replace the seals, put it back together and adjust the backlash and pinion depth. Takes about 8 hours of labor to preform plus parts. Average repairs I do are around 1000 to 1500 dollars.

Customer:

so you think bearing (s) and not ring and pinion?? is there a diff. assy. i can buy and simply r & r the whole assy?

Steve :

the ring and pinion gears are usually ok, unless they break a gear, it is usually the bearings that go out.

Steve :

You can buy a assembly from Ford, or a junk yard.

Steve :

If you go to a re-builder that knows there stuff, and get it rebuilt you are looking at the same price as one from Ford, just the assembly then you have to install it your self.

Customer:

i entered my vin #. any chance you could please provide me the p/n from ford for a replacement assy. that way all i do is remove the old and replace with a new diff. assy?

Steve :

I do not see your vin. All you need to do is call Ford, they can easily get you the part, and the part number.

Customer:

any chance you could please get me the sections i asked for earlier inside the R & R instructions for the axle assemble R & I instructions? section 205-01, 205-05, and 204-05?

Customer:

thank you.

Steve :

hang on

Steve :

to remove the drive shaft. click here

Steve :

to remove the half shafts click here

Customer:

removal of the half shafts looks to be quite a task?? special tools required?

Customer:

still need 204-05. thanks.

Steve :

It is not to bad, you have to remove the nut on really tight, need air for that. and possibly a puller to get it out of the rear end. or a big pry bar.

Steve :

That is the sway bar not to bad, cannot find it. Some times the books are wrong on locations, sorry.

Customer:

don't have air, only 57 year old muscles!!

Customer:

the sway bar should be fairly intuitive anyway. thank you!

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.