Autotech58
Autotech58, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  37+ years of experience.
66697789

F450: My 2009 Ford F450 with Triton motor is having starter

My 2009 Ford F450 with Triton motor is having starter problems. Have replaced all cables, battery and had starter checked. will only start occasionally.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.
Is the starter "clicking" when you try to start it? Please note that "bench testing" a starter does not mean that it is going to engage every time with enough power to turn the engine over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No "clicking" at the starter or solenoid. also tried "jumping" across the solenoid, still no response from starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no "c licking" noise at starter. tried jumping across fender mounted solenoid for starter response, nothing happened.

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure which "fender mounted solenoid" you would be referring to.

Please download the PDF file HERE

The file will be deleted from the file server in a few days due to copyright restrictions, so you may want to save a copy to your computer for future reference.

The file contains the starting system wiring diagrams for your truck. You can see by these diagrams that the starter relay is located in the Battery Junction Box (BJB).

You can test the circuit from the relay to the starter by removing the relay and jumping across from pin 30 to pin 87 in the relay connector. If this works to make your starter kick in and crank, then either the relay itself is bad, or there is a problem with the "control side" of the relay.

If there is a problem on the control side of the relay, about all you can do is check continuity between the relay and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connector and check for power at Pin 87 to see if there is start voltage from the ignition switch.

If both of these are good, you could be having a problem with your security system (something like intermittently not recognizing your key) or there may be a problem with the PCM. These things will require interfacing with your onboard computer network with the proper equipment to diagnose.

Let me know if you need any more information or assistance.

Experience: 37+ years of experience.
Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Customer,

I see you have viewed my answer. However, your question has since "timed out". So, I just wanted to follow up and see if you need further assistance with your starting system on your truck. I realize that you may not have had the time to try what I have given you to see if you can get your system working. I just wanted to let you know that if you need more time or if you need further assistance you can request that your question be "re-opened".

Otherwise, I just wanted to say that it has been a pleasure working with you and I hope to serve you again in the future.

Thanks!

-Dave (Autotech58)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Dave,

Well as it turns out, it was the starter afterall. the local autoparts store didn't have enough knowledge to accurately test the starter, so we replaced it, and all is well.

Thank you,

-Randy

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.

Cool! I'm glad you got it. I have seen this many times. This is what I was getting at when I said what I did about "bench testing".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I had just gone through this with my '97 F250 Diesel. When I had it bench tested, they said it was "good", but I just happened to notice that it was only pulling around 70amps and varying, I asked how come, if it took (2) 80A. batt's?. we pulled a new one off the shelf and tested it, and it was hitting approx 135A. That was the cure. I was not the one working on the F450 Triton, so I had them re-test against a new one, and it was exactly the same scenario...

-Randy

Expert:  Autotech58 replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank You for using justanswers.com!
My goal is to provide some of the best online automotive repair assistance available anywhere.
Feel free to contact me about all of your automotive questions. If I do not know the answer myself, I will help find someone else for you who does.

You can contact me directly in the future if you wish. You can do that by either asking for my profile name (Autotech58) in your question description, or by visiting my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-autotech58/

You can even save my profile page to your favorites list if you like.

Thank you again. I am looking forward to meeting more of your automotive needs in the future.