A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Escape: 2001 Ford escape died while driving. RPM shot high

Customer Question

2001 Ford escape died while driving. RPM shot high then engine died. Car will crank but will not start. Squeeks while attempting to crank. No code appears on diagnostic reader but check engine light was on previously with a P0401 code EGR restricted air flow not sure if this is related
Category: Ford
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 3 years ago.
I would like to have you attempt something in order to find out if the exhaust passage is being blocked or you have a faulty egr valve.

Remove the EGR valve from the vehicle, with the valve removed attempt starting. If the vehicle now will start this leaves 2 possible causes.

Cause one can be the egr valve itself causing the vehicle to not run. Cause two is a blockage inside the exhaust system (cat converter, passages in manifold blocks, next in the muffler.)

Please keep me posted with the status as you get more information after the above test.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Removed the EGR valve and tried to start. Engine still will not start. Tried to start this morning, engined fired for a split second but then died. Squeeking sounds like its coming from the upper front part of the engine but not certain, working by myself. Tried diagnostic reader again but no codes are being displayed.

Can you feel the belt for me to see if the belt is loose? The noise can very possibly be any of the front engine items like alternator idle pulley being bad causing the belt to be very hard to turn. The problem you maybe having can be fuel related or even spark related unless the issue is internal of the engine itself. You can remove the front belt by turning the tensioner and pulling it off. If the noise is gone it must be withing the items above. If the noise is still very present this would lead me to believe it can be internal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I took the belt off, recharged the battery and sprayed stater fluid in the intake. The vehicle still will not start and the squeeking is still there and tends to be louder after the car has sat for awhile. While cranking the turnover is not smooth but rough and irratic.
After multiple attempts at starting the squeeking is not as loud but is still there. I also found out the altenator light had been coming on but not staying on before this happened, don't know if its relevant to the currnet problem.

Does it make the noise with the belt removed from the alternator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it still makes a loud squeeking noise

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car still makes the squeeking noise with the belt off the altenator. Cranking is not smooth but irratic while attempting to start. Vehicle still will not start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Provide timely and adequate answers
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

New Expert here.

Does your Escape have a 4 cylinder or V6 engine?