Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

For Windstar: I have a bad GEM Module on a 1995 Ford Windstar

I have a bad GEM Module on a 1995 Ford Windstar (confirmed by the dealer) and power windows and wipers are not working. Dealer can't find a replacement.

Number is XXXXX and I see some similar ones on EBAY with exact same number except a different ending (-AK or -AL instead of -AJ). Are these just revisions that are backward-compatible or are they completely different and unlikely to work as a replacement?

Just curious also, I've seen Remote Keyless Entry mentioned as one of the things this module controls. We have the keyless entry controls, but have not had keyless entry installed. Is that enabled only by a different version of the GEM or does it require addition of a new part to the locks?

The urgent need, however, is to know if ordering an -AK or -AL module is going to work and if the dealer really has to reprogram it as they told us.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

The last two numbers on the gem module are updated versions. The main thing is to get a gem module for a 95 and the F48F-14B205 is the same and the one you buy has all the options that are in your van.

Steve :

On a 95 windstar there is no programming needed, to replace the gem module. Just plug it in and you are good to go.

Customer:

Well, my question is whether the -AK and -AL DO have the correct options for my -AJ, and I think you are saying that they do and would work as replacements.

Steve :

That is correct I am saying they will work.

Customer:

OK, cool. So I can probably install it myself and skip paying the dealer another $100 to install and reprogram? You're sure it won't need any reprogramming?

Steve :

Positive. on a 95 Windstar it does not need to be programmed.

Customer:

You may have just saved me $100!

Steve :

Glad I could help you save some money.

Customer:

so the keyless entry is probably a piece of equipment that has to be installed in the doors or under the dash, or do all windstars come with a sensor/receiver that is enabled just by installing a different version of GEM?

Steve :

The keyless entery is a wiring harness installed and more pieces inside the gem module to control it.

Customer:

OK, thanks. Just wondering now... If I buy the -AK or -AL with exact matching first part of the part number off someone on EBAY who sells lots of GEMs, do I have to get their assurance that it came out of a 95 Windstar to avoid reprogramming, or is matching the main part of the part number sufficient? In other words, is this same part used on 1996 (because their listing says both years) and if so, would that cause it to have different programming?

Steve :

Just as long as the F48F-14B205 is the same and it has the options you have on your van door locks and so on it will work. They did use the same module for 95 and 96

Customer:

Sorry, Steve, but I need a little more clarification: You said "Just as long as the F48F-14B205 is the same..." I understand that. But you continued and added "and it has the options you have on your van door locks and so on it will work". How would I know if it has the same options? Is the F48F-14B205 enough to insure that it DOES have the same options? Or do you mean that the basic part might have had something else added to it but kept the same part number?

Customer:

In other words, if it came out of a Windstar that had remote keyless entry, would that F48F-14B205-?? be a different animal and therefore not work?

Steve :

If it is for a remote keyless entry it will work.

Customer:

OK, so any other specific question I need to ask the EBAY seller about the vehicle it came out of that would prevent it from working?

Steve :

If the one that they are selling is for a keyless entry it should have built into it everything you need.

Customer:

OK, but since I don't have the keyless entry wiring harness, etc installed and just have normal door lock controls, will a keyless version of F48F-14B205 still work for the way my van is right now (without the keyless entry wiring). That's what I'm trying to get clarified.

Steve :

Yes it will work the plugs will plug in.

Customer:

OK, cool. Thanks so much for your help.

Steve :

Your welcome

Steve :

Please remember to rate my answer with excellent service, and press the green submit button. Thanks