Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

My husband has a 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 5.4L (built in

Customer Question

My husband has a 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty 5.4L (built in 2004) -
Ran it about 3 miles, turned it off, wouldn't start. Would crank, but not start. Changed fuel filter, fuel pump and the Fuel Pump Drive module. Replaced all those parts in different steps - after replaced the FPD module, it ran. Ran the truck about an hour, came home, shut it off. Just for grins, started it. Would NOT start. Tried about 4 hours later and would start. He thought he changed the Fuel Pump relay fuse, but it ended up being the turn signal switch! WTH!!?? Replaced that back to where he began and is still trying to find the fuel pump relay switch - has tried #30 and #40 - to no avail.
No codes come up on the computer.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

You need to know where the fuel pump relay is, correct?

You are sure there is no fuel pressure and this is the reason for not starting, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has fuel pressure. He feels that this is an electrical problem. And, yes, he can not find the fuel pump relay. He has also considered this to be a bad computer, since no codes are coming up.

Do you know what the fuel pressure psi is with the key on?

When attempting to start is there fuel injector pulse and ignition spark, or does he not know how to check these, if so I can help?

Is the check engine light on or off while cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pump runs fine.....somewhere there is a relay thats bad - or the computer has a bad contact - when it runs it's just fine - it just won't stay running - the key turns on the pump runs but when you shut it off it wont engage the fuel pump - he feels the fuel pump relay is bad.....fuel pressure is fine - he feels that it is somewhere before the inertia switch and the battery to the module

the computer, #40 fuse, which he has pulled a dozen times and is fine, or the fuel pump relay....which he can't find....fuel pump relay is what he cant find - was told to the right of the steering column behind the radio - there is a 2 spot hole, but the one is empty and the other is for the turn signal......but he still can't find it....help!

Thanks for the update, since he has narrowed it down to a fuel pump relay concern then we will stay on that. The fuel pump relay is built into the fuse box under the dash called the CJB central junction box. it is not serviceable. If the vehicle will not start and there is no power getting to the inertia switch within the first 3 seconds of the key being turned on then he needs to check all wire coming in to the fuse box that control the relay. If all signals are good then a new fuse box is needed.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90220402/05f250fuelrelay.pdf

See page 6 in the above wire diagram from Ford. If there is good ground to the relay and power from fuse 40 and power from the PCM relay at the time there is no power at the inertia switch and no pressure then the concern is a new fuse box needed.

Glad I could help, if you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a lawsuit being filed that is for 6.0 diesel - however, they are thinking that maybe the 05 f250 5.4 will be included - see where I underlined - do you think this is in any way related? Also, after this problem started, he could see that the box had been fixed from a different recall (on the passenger side toward the door) - it had a black zip tie around it - and he feels that this was NOT factory done.

The 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engine equipped vehicles are plagued with potentially faulty engines. Ford has admitted that it does not know what percentage of the 275,000 vehicles may be affected with the known defects.

Ford is still investigating “engine performance issues” with the same diesel engine model in its 2003 truck line.

The Federal Government reports that this recall will involve the 2005 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 Super Duty Pick-Up Trucks that are equipped with the 5.4 or 6.8 liter gasoline engines.

Ford admitted that it started receiving complaints back in 2004 shortly after the 6.0 diesel engine starting being shipped with the new vehicles.

Ford started an investigation into the stalling problem at that time, and the Federal Government started its own investigation in October 2004.

Ford has reported that their investigation “has demonstrated that the reported stalling incidents in the affected vehicles do not present an unreasonable risk to safety”. Ford has advised the Federal Government that the company plans to make no announcement to the media about the recall.

No I do not think the concern you have and this message are related.

Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks.

If you have not yet rated my response or have not returned from an info request I sent out. Please do so now so I can help you resolve this concern. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Thanks Chris
.
.