Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

F-350: I installed a DVM-EP93 Performance & Economy Chip onto

I installed a DVM-EP93 Performance & Economy Chip onto my 2003 F-350. I follwed the instructions that came with the device. When I initially crunk it, it was running rough and then stalled. Now it will crank, but it will not start. Can someone help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Do you still have that "performance chip" installed?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is no longer installed.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, which engine do you have in yours and what did you have it installed to - IAT/MAF sensor?

do you have a scan tool with testing capabilities and a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a 6.0 Power Stroke diesel. I had ot installed to the MAF. I do have a multimeter.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, first the bad news - these "performance chips" are pure snake oil. They have a 15 cent resistor in them that you could get at any radio shack- that is it. they are notorious for the damage they do. Please understand that if there was a simple chip that could actually boost MPG and/or HP, every auto manufacturer would have installed them from the factory years ago instead of spending billons of dollars every year in research to increase MPG to meet Federal CAFE standards for gas mileage...

Best case scenario is you only fried your MAF sensor. Worst case is you fried your ECM, which is one result of adding these. I have actually seen a few that have melted the engine pistons.

On the MAF sensor, check resistance between pin #1 and 6, then pin #2 and 3, and then #3 and 4. let me know the results:

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What should I set the arm meter to when testing the pens?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

set for ohms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK! I appreciate your feed back regarding these chips. What you said makes perfectly good sense. Is your opinion the same regarding the "Bullydog" and the SCT power programmer? I am just curious.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pin readings are as followed:

Pin #1 and 6 = .04 #2 and 3 = .10 #3 and 4 is negative.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Those are actual programmers that plug into the data link connector port and you can adjust the computer parameters. This is much different and they actually work, but much pricier at anywhere from $400 to $1200 for them.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, the MAF sensor is blown to start with, so we need to replace it. Hopefully this is all. If still not starting, then likely the computer has been fried as well, but this requires a scan tool to test.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an Actron brand scan tool, but it does not give me any code readings on this vehicle. Any idea on the price of replacing the computer, just in case? I have ordered a new MAF sensor that will arrive on tomorrow. Hopefully this will resolve my issue. Thank you again for your help.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. for some reason your response just now showed up.

Ok, if a computer is needed, you can get a remanufactured one for around $400 from most major auto parts stores.

I dont think the Actron will actually do any testing on the ecm. I may be wrong on that, but from what I know of the Actrons, they dont have that capability