Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

2007 ford f350 diesel 6.0 can a p2617 code keep the truck from

2007 ford f350 diesel 6.0 can a p2617 code keep the truck from turning on, crankshaft sensor code
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX yes the 2617 can cause a no start, if the 2617 and the 2614 are set together then most likely there is another fault that could be setting both of these codes. If the 2617 is the only code ,then a scan tool should be used to see if there is engine rpm, along with sync, and ficm sync. I can give a pinpoint test if you want or you can swap the sensor out, it would be about as easy to just swap it out and see if the vehicle starts. It is located on the passenger side front of the engine, removing the ground cable and using a 8mm swivel socket works the best, XXXXX XXXXX questions just ask, thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, changed the sensor, no codes come.out now, before all this changed the alternator, batteries were charged, now jumping it and cranking, seems.like it almost wants to start
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if it is trying to fire and there are no codes, see if there is combustion gas entering the fuel system, remove the secondary fuel filter cap on top of engine, turn key on to fill the housing to the top, then turn key off, leave key off, find large single bullet type electrical connector over by the passenger battery, disconnect this, this will be your remote starter, while looking at the top of the fuel housing crank the engine over by touching the male side wiring to the positive battery lug, see if there are air bubbles while cranking the engine over, crank for 15-30 seconds, let me know if there are any bubbles, thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No bubbles
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, are there any codes, like a p2291 low icp code? Do you have a scan tool to look at live data while cranking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No codes and yes, crankshaft sensor p 2617 just came back on already

replaced the sensor

Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.

What needs to be done is to look at live date to see if there really is no rpm, also sync and ficm sync needs to be looked at, it could be the wiring to the crankshaft sensor also. Test the wiring from the crank sensor to the pcm first, the pcm is located behind the drivers side battery.

Wiring click here

Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience: 28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay i will try these things tomorrow and will get back to u, i appreciate u helping me
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sounds good, thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for ur time
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its the best
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
God luv ya, you just made my daySmile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hadn't had time to turn this truck on, would u like to help me give it another shot, i will give u another excellent rating and another bonus :)
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing let me know what you need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so i charged the battery, i took off the air hose that goes from.the air filter to the front of the turbo charger, i noticed that the little propeller doesn't turn, is it supposed to
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Actually the turbo won't spin until the engine is started, it is powered by the exhaust flow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay no codes yet, but i crank it with live data and rpms move around 148 rpms while cranking, what do we try next
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

What is the IPR percentage and ICP pressure reading while cranking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have that on my scanner
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
What about SYNC and FICM SYNC do you have that on your scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope but when i checked for codes, the first time, all eight injectors, came out , but i think it was cause of the crankshaft sensor, should i keep cranking till codes come out
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
You had all 8 injector circuit codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, i don't remember what they were.though, but after i changed the cks sensor, they never came out again, only the cranskshaft sensor, but now that i disconnect. The batteries to charge them i have no codes i have no codes, and i have cranked it a few times
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Normally when we receive all 8 injector circuit codes the FICM is needing to be replaced, (fuel injector control module). See if you have FICM MPWR pid in your scan tool, see if this voltage is above 45 volts while cranking the engine over. If it isn't, more than likely the FICM will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought about that, is there a way to test that, the code hasn't came back, all this started by changing the alternator
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, remove the coolant bottle towards the drivers side, no need to drain the coolant, on top of ficm there is a plate 2 screws, remove this, using a DVOM set to DC volts check the screw closest to the drivers side for a 4 screw ficm, do not let the test lead ground out on the side of the case or the ficm will be shorted out and need replaced for sure. Turn key on, check voltage, should be more than 45, usually 48 volts, then have someone crank the engine, as this will load the power supply inside, if the voltage drops below 45 volts while cranking, the ficm will need to be replaced.

Since this all happened after alt replacement, have all the fuses been tested?, check the ICP sensor on the passenger valve cover, maybe this became disconnected, let me know what you find, thanks Steve W

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i removed the coolant bottle, i see a big silver box with 4 bolts no connectors, is this the ficm, if so where do i put my leads red and black leads
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, remove the small plate on top, underneath there will be 4 screw heads, test the drivers side screw head with the positive lead set to to dc volts, and the negative to battery ground, don't let the positive short out while testing, or the ficm will be junk, have a helper crank the engine over and read the voltage, should be no less than 45 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked out good, 48 volts and 48 volts while.cranking , maybe it's a fuel problem, when i first started with this i would try a.litttle eather and it seemed like it wanted to start, now nothing how would i check fuel pressure
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.

I would first remove the secondary fuel filter cap on top of the engine, turn key on and see if the fuel flows in fast, to check the fuel pressure you need a special adapter and pressure gauge. Here is what the tester looks like.

Click here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh wow, let's just do the filter thing, also i once had a diesel that i couldn't stsrt no matter how much i charged the batteries, i bought 2 new batteries and boom, started right up, i have also read that if u crank and no smoke from exhaust it means ficm not working, could my ficm be messed up even if the voltage is good, should i replace the filters, u think i have air in the system
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
I have had only 1 ficm that tested ok, but was junk, so it is possible. I just wanted to see if the fuel pump was actually flowing fuel into the secondary fuel filter housing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i yried that before and yes it does fill pretty quick, the filter looked pretty sucked up though
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Has the ICP sensor on the RH valve cover been looked at? See if there is oil in the connector, try starting it with the sensor unplugged, see if it will fire, if it does, replace the ICP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i spray a Lil either in the air intake it starts like for a second
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
This could be the FICM or the high pressure oil system not providing enough pressure, the computer needs to see at least 500 psi high pressure oil or the fuel injectors won't even be fired. Has the ICP sensor been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check it, and does it stand forq
Expert:  Scott W. replied 1 year ago.
Visually look at the sensor and see if it is hooked up and not leaking oil, the best way is with a scan tool and monitor ICP pressure while cranking, it should be more than 500 psi.
Scott W., Ford Technician