Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford F250 5.4L: I have a 2001 F250 with the 5.4L gas motor.

I have a 2001 F250 with the 5.4L gas motor. The truck has run fine until recently, there have been occasions where it will not restart after shutting off or will not start at first try. It will crank fine. One time it ran for several seconds and died as if running out of fuel. When cranking, I do not smell fuel at all. at some later time, somtimes minutes, sometimes an hour or two, it will start and run fine.

I have tried to read the codes, but the code reader says downloading ( or similar), but never displays codes.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Customer:

Hi Steve,

Steve :

It does sound like a fuel concern. I have seen many times a bad fuel pump in the gas tank cause this concern on a 01 F250 5.4l.

Customer:

I have a high level of technical expertise with test instruments, etc. I am also an equipment engineer in the medical imaging field. So hopefully you will not have to hold me by the hand too much!

Steve :

To verify you will need to check the fuel pressure when it will not start. On the fuel rail is a test port that looks like a tire valve. Go to the auto parts store and buy a fuel pressure gauge for a Ford. When cranking you should have 40 psi of pressure.

Customer:

I saw one suggestion was to bang the fuel tnk with something to verify pump fail while starting.

Customer:

This has been happening for 6 months or better, but more recently it has become much less intermittent.

Steve :

Yes that is a great suggestion. Use a piece of wood or a rubber mallet, bang on the gas tank while cranking the engine. I suggest that all the time.

Customer:

Do you have diagrams, etc related to the fuel pump and controls? I believe in the past I did located the fuel rail Shraeder valve and pushed it and there was no pressure, I will have to try it again.

Steve :

I do replace a lot of fuel pumps for this concern. It is very common for the pump to go bad intermittently. You have to remember it is a electric motor. It really sounds like a bad fuel pump in the gas tank. And it will need to be replaced.

Steve :

What do you want a diagram of? The parts and location? Wiring diagram?

Customer:

My wife just drove up i the suspect vehicle, we are trading cars. I will be back soon.

Steve :

ok

Customer:

I'm back

Customer:

I am interstedin whatever upstram controls, relay, wirin connectors int he fuel pump circuit

Customer:

Sorry about the typos, keyboard sucks

Customer:

Schematics excerpts regarding the fuel pump controls would be helpful. I may have to buy a service manual eventually.

Customer:

I think the key is that you mentioned that the fuel pump will behave intermittently, but before I drop the tank, I want to verify the other pieces in the controls.

Steve :

Ok I can get you a wiring diagram hang on.

Customer:

Great, thanks

Steve :

click here

Steve :

click on the blue link above

Customer:

Thanks Steve. The diagram looks perfect. Any thoughs on why I can not read codes or reset them?

Steve :

It could be the tester. does the code reader come alive when you plug it into the connector or turn on?

Steve :

Hi are you still there?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I have enough to go on now, thanks for you help.

Customer:

Steve