HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ford 150 ext. cab: I have a 2001 Ford F150 extended cab & small

I have a 2001 Ford F150 extended cab & small rear doors will not open. Mechanically latches, handles, etc, seem to be ok.
I suspect some electrical Safety feature.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.
The rear doors have two latches at the top and bottom of the door, typically the latch mechanism cable stretches out and breaks not allowing for the door to unlatch both mechanisms. You would need to remove the interior door panel with the door closed to gain access inside and manually release the upper & lower door latches and replace the mechanism. Common concern for these rear doors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know how to manually release the doors

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know how to manually release the doors. Could you please call me on my cell phone XXX-XXX-XXXX - I am a retired mechanic? I would appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Sorry the website rules and terms of service dont allow us to call you directly.Once you get the interior door panel removed which is a litle tricky but not too bad with the door closed if you follow the rear door release handle on the inside there are cables that run to the top and bottom latches,depending on how or where it is broken follow them back to the upper and lower latch mechanism and you should be able to open them by either pulling on the cable or moving the latch mechanism at the top and bottom, the whole system is serviced as a complete assembly complete with the cables and upper & lower latches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Before I contacted you, I had pulled the panel, checked the mechanism & latches. I disconnected the cable - it did not appear to be broken when I pulled on it. I pulled as hard as I could with a pair of pliers. It doesn't appear to be broken and seems like I can pry the bottom of the door & it moves. Appears to be that the top is still latched. I have not done anything to the opposite door. It won't open either. I was wondering if there was some safety catch (electrically operated) to possibly keep the door from opening with car moving that is not functioning. I am a retired ASE master mechanic but this one has got me puzzled.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

No it isnt electronic, all cables, it may have a child lock on the inner door frame but I dont believe so. make sure both latches move freely where the cables hook up as shown below.

graphic

HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience: 23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be late on my reply. Your service was excellent, but I have not finished and I may have found something that may solve the problem. I went to a salvage yard yesterday and they had a pickup there with this type of door which I could open and examine. There is definitely a latch-on top as you said. I think I can make a hole with a hole saw a few inches below the top. I hope to be able to reach in there with needle-nose pliers and unlatch the door. After I have tried that, will get back with you. Your service has been excellent so far. I have been retired 10 years and somewhat rusty. I doing this work on my cousin's truck. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. You were right - there is a upper lock and a lower lock. The cable to the lower lock was easily found. The cable to the top lock is hard to see. Both doors would not open and it was hard working under those conditions. You almost had to lay on the floor to see the upper cable. It is all finished now. You have been very helpful.