Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Ford F150: Just installed a new starter on an F-150. Makes

Just installed a new starter on an F-150. Makes a squealing sound when starting. Could this be alignment issues. I put back the shims as found. The shims were washers. How do I align astarter?

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Was this the original starter that you removed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. The orignial starter was replaced about 6 years ago. The shop that replaced it had to adjust alignment a few times before it worked.

Thanks for the input Brian.

I think the problem is the brand starters being used. There are not and should not be any shims nor washers between the starter and mounting surface. I believe all the problems can be solved by just purchasing and using a Motorcraft brand starter and not an aftermarket one. Shimming a starter results in not contacting the flexplate fully which over time will lead to a worn out ring gear o n the flex plate and excessive stress on the starter bendix shaft.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So what you are saying that no alighnment should be needed when installing a starter. Should I try removing the washers between the starter and the mounting surface, and reinstall the starter?

That is correct Brian. Ford shows no washers nor do I recall ever seeing washers on any models when I remove the starters from Ford vehicles, which I have to do every day as a transmission tech where as the starter has to be removed always to get the transmission out.

You can try it without the washers but odds are this is a design flaw using the aftermarket starter, where it will only work semi correct with the washers in place.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You may be correct that the after market start may not work. Unfortunately, I will not be able to purchase one tonight. I am going to try to get this one to work for now. What is the torque spec for the starter bolts?

Both are torqued to 20 lb-ft, Brian.

Glad I could help.