HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

F250: I have a 1994 F250 7.3L diesel auto 4x4. I just had the

I have a 1994 F250 7.3L diesel auto 4x4. I just had the fipple replaced but dealer wasn't able to properly adjust it. Said it sounded OK but may need further adjustment. I tow a 30 ft boat with it (~8,000 pounds?). When driving up hill, transmission won't shift down unless I put the peddle to the firewall. The Overdrive is off and I run it in Drive. Seemed to kick down once speed dropped to between 40 and 60 km/hr (25 and 40 MPH). Can you provide guidance on adjustment so shifting down will occur "normally"? (previous owner is neighbour and he says he never had that problem in the past)
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The proceedure requires the use of the Super Star or New Generation Star tester to go into adjustment properly, below is the info you are looking for.

NOTE: To check the FIPL sensor for proper operation and to make any
adjustments the engine MUST be turned off.

1. Perform Key-On, Engine-Off On-Board Diagnostics and wait for all the DTCs to
    be issued.

NOTE: The throttle must be held to the floor, during Key-On,
Engine-Off On-Board Diagnostics until the codes have begun to issue from the
STAR Tester Transmission Control.

1. After the last DTC has been issued, press the Transmission Control Switch
    (TCS) , this will initiate the FIPL sensor adjustment mode and allow the
    STAR Tester to be used as an audible guide in setting the FIPL sensor.

NOTE: The STAR Tester remains in the adjustment mode for only ten
minutes. Steps 3-5 must be completed within this time period. If the ten minute
time limit is exceeded this procedure must be repeated from Step 1.

1. Remove the throttle cable from the throttle lever on the right side of the
    fuel injection pump.

1. Insert the VRV Gauge Block T92T-7B200-AH (0.515 inch) between the gauge boss
    and the maximum throttle travel screw. Hold the throttle lever open against the
    gauge block. A steady tone indicates the FIPL sensor is properly adjusted. If
    the setting is too low the STAR Tester will issue a slow beep (1 per second), if
    the setting is too high the STAR Tester will issue a fast beep (4 per
    second).

NOTE: The FIPL sensor bracket is permanently attached to the pump with
tamper-proof screws. Movement of the bracket is not intended as a means for
adjustment. If required, adjustment of the FIPL sensor may be accomplished by
utilizing the clearance between the sensor to bracket screws and the sensor. If
the FIPL sensor bracket is loose, remove the epoxy from the bracket to pump
mounting screws, adjust the FIPL sensor/bracket assembly to obtain a steady
tone, retighten the screws, and reapply epoxy to the screw heads

1. To adjust, loosen the two screws that attach the FIPL sensor to the mounting
    bracket. Rotate the FIPL sensor until a steady tone is heard from the STAR
    Tester. If the setting is too low the STAR Tester will issue a slow beep (1 per
    second), if the setting is too high the STAR Tester will issue a fast beep (4
    per second). Once a steady tone is heard, tighten the attaching screws to
    75-90 in-lb (8-10.5 N-m) . If the FIPL sensor cannot be adjusted to
    obtain a steady tone, replace the TP FIPL sensor and repeat this procedure from
    Step 1.
  2. Remove the gauge block. Cycle the throttle lever from idle to wide open
    throttle (WOT) five times. Reinsert the gauge block to verify the
    setting. If the tone is not steady then readjustment is necessary. Repeat this
    procedure from Step 5.
  3. Remove the gauge block. Reattach the throttle cable.
  4. Start the engine. Check throttle operation and transmission shift scheduling
    and quality.

CAUTION: Do not turn the maximum throttle travel screw. This
screw has been preset and should not be adjusted. If replacing the Fuel
Injection Pump Lever sensor, refer to the TSB's for the latest release of the
FIPL sensor to prevent possible vehicle damage.

graphic

graphic

graphic

HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience: 23 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European