Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

Ford Explorer: My daughters 2004 explorer wont start. It has

My daughters 2004 explorer wont start. It has power. We changed the battery and then put the key in the door and turned it to lock and unlock, then tried to start it again to no avail. How can we get it started?
Hello, I will try to help. Let me ask, Is the security light blinking by chance? or is there any other indicators on the dash that don't seem normal to her? When you turn the key does the dash light up with key on engine off? thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All lights work when key is on. A friend of hers tried to jump the starter and the starter is working fine. it just has no power going to the system

OK, Do this real quick, tell her to move the gear stick from PARK to LOW quickly 5 or 6 times, and then try to start the vehicle in park and neutral. let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, not with the car

OK, well try that when someone gets to the vehicle next. and see if it will start then in park or neutral. and if it will, you'll need a neutral safety switch. It still may need the switch if it doesn't make any difference but sometimes you can jar them back to life and clean the switch contacts by raking the switch from P to L a few times. Also, make sure all the connections at the starter are good and tight. If the anti theft light blinks fast when you try to start it, then the vehicle start is prevented by the anti-theft system and will need to go to a dealer or Ford speciality shop to have the codes read out and diagnosed as that may be a key chip or immobilizer fault. Hopefully that isn't the case. If the antitheft light doesn't blink fast, then go to the power distribution box under the hood. In this diagram you see the start relay, pull it out, make sure nothings corroded underneath it. I believe the heater blower relay is the same one, temporarily swap relays and see if that does it. If the starter motor is fine, then it's most likely the relay or anti theft problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you have a copy of the fuses in the block? she doesnt have an owners manuel to show where they are all at. Thanks

Give me just one second.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thank you what about disabling the security system?

Here is the diagram. Starter relay circled in puple. This is the power distro box under the hood. graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

or even re-setting the code on the door

Ford uses what is called a PATS system. passive anti-theft system. It's a little more complicated than just bypassing a few wires, or soldering in a resistor to the ignition key circuit like we used to do with old GM's. This system has a chip in the key, and uses an RFID (radio frequency interference device) to send a signal to the processor that the key that is programmed to the vehicle is in the switch and will start the vehicle. Basically If I went to a locksmith, had him cut a key to 2004 ford. I would unlock the door with the key, I could turn the ign. switch with the key, but it still wouldn't start because the key's chip isn't programmed. In my opinion I don't know of any sure proven way to bypass the PATS system. It is engineered to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen and they've got it locked down tight. If the security light is flashing rapidly though, then it will be something else. and I thank you for the accept sir. There are some aftermarket kits that I have seen that claim to be able to bypass Ford's PATS system. But I personally have not tried to use one.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok well thanks for your help

That should read if the security light ISN"T flashing fast, it will be something else. If the security light IS flashing fast when starting, the vehicles PATS system has the truck locked down. thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just bto let you was the key. Ford had to cut my daughter a
second key and then together they reprogramed the keys and it works fine now.

OK, Hopefully that wasn't too much Ray. Thank you for using