chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

Ford Escape: Replacement Drivers Seat Side Airbag

I just installed a replacement driver's seat in my 2001 Ford Escape. The replacement seat was from a 2004 Escape. Both seats have a side airbag. After replacing the old seat, I now have airbag warning light on...not sure what to do?  I saw in the shop manual the note about using the airbag diagnostic connectors, but I don't have any of those.  Wondering if it is related to a different VIN number stored in the replacement airbag...?

Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

-

lets start out by finding out what the air bag system is unhappy about , to do this turn the key on and the air bag lamp should come on for about 2 to 3 seconds , and then it will start to flash a code out to you ,, lets say it was a code 32 ,, the light would flash three times , then pause and then flash two times,,, then it would start over again ,, so count the flashes and tell me what the code is ---we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

read the above post first ,,, if you find the code to be code 36 ,, then the resistance to the drivers seat mounted air bag is to high ,,, and ford has had many problems with the two wire conector under the drivers seat for the air bag, it has high resistance , adjust the seat all the way forward and look at the rear of the seat track , there you will find this two wire conector , it has a white/light blue wire and a red wire in it ,,, cut and remove this conector and splice the wires back together to get rid of the conector and its high resistance ,, then start the truck up and see if the air bag system is happy

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

Thanks--just went and checked the airbag code and got a 46

Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

that code is for the seat belt buckle , the drivers seat belt buckle has a conector comeing off of it ,, make sure its plugged in ,,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK...which connector is the seat belt buckle connector? I have a power driver seat, and there are 3 connectors. Is the forward-most connector the seat belt buckle connector (white connector, whereas the middle and rear-most connectors are yellow). Also, what will not work right if this seat belt buckle connection is not working? And, will the error codes ever clear on their own or only if the seat buckle connection is fixed?

Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

if you move the drivers seat all the way forward, there should be a two wire conector for the drivers seat belt buckle pretensioner, light green/black wire and light green/ red wire on it - I think its white

-

your seat belt buckle has a gun shot shell in it, witch goes off when your in a accident and pulls the seat belt buckle down about 2-3 inches to take up slack in the seat belt and hold you tight to the seat ,, so if there is a problem with this system , then it will not operate it ,

-

when you repaire the problem , with the key off, and then turn the key back on , if the problem is gone ,, the light will not flash any more, so as soon as you repaire the problem , the system knows and it does not flash the air bag lamp anymore , so you dont have to clear the code

-

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will take a look. Sounds like the buckle pretensioner connector is the rear-most connector of the three, not the front-most connector, then?

One more thing...and should have included this in initial description. My Escape is 2001 model, replacement seat came from 2004 model which is supposed to be fully compatible, however, the front most connector (white one) in my 2001 wiring harness has only 2 wires on the connector, where the 2004 seat has an extra pair of wires on that connector (the front-most connector). Any chance that the 2001 models did not have the same seat buckle pretensioner configuration as the 2004 models? If so, do I need to try to take out the seat buckle assembly from my old seat and swap it out with the one in the new seat?

Thanks! (Lastly, how do I save a copy of all of your responses?)

Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.

both have the same set up . seat mounted air bag, and a pretensioner buckle,, but not sure if the connectors are all the same on the back and front of the seat ,, but the truck did never change much over the years , even the color of the wires are the same

-

but you know what the problem is with the system , and the wires in question , so remove the seat and trace the wires from the seat belt pretensioner and make sure they run to the correct spots on the floor harness,, if all checks out ok,, I would cut the conector out , due to it to has problems with high resistance and could cause this code , and splice the wires together and see if the code is gone

-

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience