Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford Explorer: I have a 94 Ford Explorer that is leaking coolant

I have a 94 Ford Explorer that is leaking coolant under the engine on the passengers side about even with the right front tire. The fluid is dripping about 1 foot right of the center of the engine. It does not appear to be coming from the firewall and I have no fluid in the passenger compartment so I don't think it is the heater core. It does not appear to be leaking from the water pump in the front center of the engine either. I have not had any performance problems with the engine or any smoking. I can't see the leak coming from any of the hoses, but I am about to replace all of the hose to see if that fixes the problem. Any suggestions about something I have failed to consider? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers,
Jeff J.
Spokane, WA

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

What you are describing is not coolant. Coolant is green and it is not clear. What you are seeing is normal water draining from the plenum drain from the a/c condenser.

Customer:

Hi Steve, I am hoping this is a simple fix of just replacing hoses, but I want to make sure I was not missing anything. I am pretty handy fixing my cars, but this one has me stumped. Oh sorry, it is green. I meant no oil in it.

Steve :

O ok you mentioned from the firewall and clear. It could be the heater bypass hose leaking coolant.

Customer:

My original thought after I checked the hoses visually was head gasket, but I have no symptoms for that. That is why I said clear...my bad.

Customer:

Is the heater by pass hose the hose or hose that go into the firewall (heater core)

Customer:

Is the heater bypass hose one of the hoses that go into the firewall

Steve :

No problem. If it is leaking down by the firewall then it is possible the heater bypass hoses are leaking. It attaches to the heater core. May also want to check the connections at the heater core to hose it may be loose.

Customer:

Okay...the leak appears to be forward of the firewall about a foot but it may be running down the bottom of one of the hoses

Steve :

Yes that is possible. C

an you get under the explorer and use a strong flashlight to see for sure?

Customer:

Will do. I think my best plan of attack is to replace all of the coolant hoses (at least 10 years old) and that will ensure I have checked each connection and I have good hoses. I know that is overkill, but coming into winter, I do not want to get stuck on the side of the road in freezing weather. Your thoughts

Steve :

That sounds like a great idea . Hoses are old and they do crack and leak with age.

Customer:

Okay, that is the plan and I appreciate you letting me bounce this off of you. Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jeff

Steve :

your welcome

Customer:

Have a great weekend.