Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

Ford Focus ZX3: 2003 focus zx3 p0301 p0316 and p1120. Running

2003 focus zx3 p0301 p0316 and p1120. Running rough at idle and again at crusing speeds.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

do you still need help?

Steve :

code p0301 is cylinder #1 misfire. Have you replaced the plug and the spark plug wire at cylinder #1? Did you check for spark and compression at cylinder #1

Steve :

code p0316 says you have a missfire at start up.

Steve :

Code p1120 says you have a bad tp sensor. Have you already replaced the tp sensor?

Steve :

Let me know I can help you out further.

Customer:

yes...Twice in 3 months..yesterday I returned the one I bgot in July and put on. Same code right away. As a matter of act it seems to idle rough with one.

Steve :

You replaced the tp sensor two times?

Steve :

How about the plugs and wires and checking for spark and compression on cylinder #1?

Customer:

plugs are fairly new. Have not checked compression

Customer:

can do that. Have compreeion gauge

Customer:

?do you want me to chech compression?

Customer:

compression is;

1 100

2 100

3 105

4 100

Steve :

Why did you rate me bad service?

Steve :

Sorry I did not get back to you right away. I took lunch.

Steve :

Did you also replace the plug wires when you replaced the plugs?

Customer:

I never got an answer. Just questions that i had aleady giving the anwser to.

Steve :

I am trying to figure out what is wrong. You have two separate concerns. the tp sensor and the misfire. Unfortunately I am not there to look at it myself I need some info to tell you how to fix your Focus.

Steve :

Customer:

no

Steve :

I am going to focus on the #1 cylinder misfire first. Any time I replace the plugs I also replace the spark plug wires. That is the next step you need to take, is to replace the spark plug wires.

Steve :

It is possible the misfire is causing the code. I have seen problems with the ignition system cause a feedback to the computer and set false codes. The first thing I want you to do is to replace the spark plug wires. Erase the codes and report back to me the results.

Steve :

I see you have left, and I am also going to leave the chat for the moment. once you have replaced the spark plug wires and erased the codes get back to me. I will respond as soon as I can.

Customer:

Put on new plug wires and cleared codes. P1120 came right back but nothing on the plugs. Seems toidle a bit smoother. Have no driven it yet.

Steve :

It still idles rough?

Steve :

On the tp sensor code coming right back it is possible you have a bad wire. I would check the wiring at the electrical connector. On the misfire if it still idles rough put a spark plug on the end of the plug wire for cylinder #1 and ground the spark plug to the engine block, Do you have spark? If you do not have spark replace the coil pack.

Customer:

I have done this. All four plugs are firing. As for the wiring I have look at them several ties an see nothing wrong.

Steve :

does the engine idle rough? or run rough at higher rpms?

Steve :

take the electrical connector off of the tp sensor and pull on the wires one at a time does a wire pull out and or is there one broken?

Customer:

just checked wires again as you asked. OK.

Steve :

Steve :

do you have a voltmeter to check the wiring to the tp sensor? if the tp sensor is ok then you have bad wiring or a bad computer.

Customer:

i do.

Steve :

Put the black lead on the brown wire and put the red lead on the white wire. Make sure the tester is on dc volts. What is the voltage you are reading?

Steve :

At the tp sensor connector, with the connector plugged in and the key in the on position.

Steve :

also let me know how the engine runs know.

Steve :

with the new plug wires.

Customer:

with wires connect tp or not?

Customer:

.18 dcv

Steve :

with the wires connected to the tp sensor.

Steve :

should have at least .5 volts at idle. When you move the throttle voltage should rise to 4 volts

Customer:

will test it again in am (pdt)

Steve :

k let me know

Customer:

Got no reading above the .018 connecting ang moving throttle. However, when I removed it and manually turned it I got a goodreading of 4.92. But what I discovered was the sensor only

turned one direction the wrong way. I took it back and won't get replacement until tomorrow.

Steve :

Let me know how it works out for you.

Customer:

ok. It appears the new TP (for automatic, my car is manual) is working. Goes form .66 to 4.62.

Steve :

Is the tp code gone know?

Steve :

Erase the code and see if it comes back.

Customer:

Yes. Drove it for about 15 minutes and it still off. No codes

Steve :

Then the problem is solved on the check engine light?

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.