Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

Fusion: Where is the location of the front impact sensor on

Customer Question

Where is the location of the front impact sensor on a 2006 ford fusion sel 3.0 - Im getting code B2296 but can not find any of the front sensors.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.

FRONT IMPACT SEVERITY SENSOR

Removal and Installation

WARNING:
  • Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.
  • Vehicle sensor orientation is critical for proper system operation. If a vehicle equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system SRS is involved in a collision, inspect the sensor mounting bracket and wiring pigtail for deformation. Replace and properly position the sensor or any other damaged SRS components whether or not the air bag is deployed.
  • To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE:

• The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the restraints control module (RCM) fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a SRS fault.
  • The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.
  • Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.
  1. Depower the system.
  2. Remove the 2 bolts and the 2 pin-type retainers from the upper grille.
  3. WARNING: The tightening torque of the air bag front impact severity sensor and bracket assembly retaining bolts is critical for correct system operation.

NOTE:

• Make sure the radiator support and front impact severity sensor and bracket assembly mating surfaces are clean and free of foreign material.
  • Note position of the locator tab on the front impact severity sensor and bracket assembly for installation.

While gently positioning forward the upper grille, remove the 2 bolts from the front impact severity sensor and bracket assembly.

• To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft)
  1. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the front impact severity sensor and bracket assembly.
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  3. Repower the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im looking now and there is no sensor there nor a wire/connector for a sensor to connect to.
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
ok, I will opt out.

another expert shoukld be along shortly

Please do not respond to me as post will remain locked to me
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

The sensor is mounted right where the picture that Randall posted shows. Just below the hood latch. if there is no sensor or wiring there then it was either removed or this is not a 2006 Fusion. Also the 2296 is a generic impact sensor code the parameter ID (PID) needs to be monitored to determine which sensor is at fault. See below.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where does the front impact sensor run to.
So I can try to find the begeinging of it.

Also I'm guessing that would be the reason the code is on I'd it's missing.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

It runs to the restraints control module (RCM). The RCM is mounted to the floorboard below the center of the instrument panel. I would try to locate the connector for the sensor near the area of the hood latch. At the very least the wiring should be there.The wire colors are violet/green and yellow/gray.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the wire will run on the passenger side of the car ?
And is the connector grey or black.

Also I seen where people count Howard times the srs light flashes to determine a code.

Mine comes on when I start car. Goes off and stays on till I turn off
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ford does not publish where the wires run in the harness, thats why you need to locate the wires near the hood latch.Initially the wires run to the passenger side where they enter the main harness. See below. The connector is black. The flashout code is the same as retrieving with a scanner. The fault pids cannot be read with the light, A high end scanner is needed to monitor fault pids to get the pair of numbers after the code to determine which sensor is at fault and what type of failure is indicated.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay let me see of I can find them. I may have to remove bumper cover again.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay after taking off the bumper cover and removing the wiper fliud holder thingy.

Heres a few pictures What is the 3rd picture?

and is the 1st and 2nd the sensor connector?

http://c-fphotography.com/photos/photo%201.JPG
http://c-fphotography.com/photos/photo%202.JPG
http://c-fphotography.com/photos/photo%203.JPG
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
The first two appear to be the impact sensor connector. The third one looks to be the ambient temperature sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the third need to be mounted anywhere or anything.

And does the impact sensor need to be mounted by the hood release for the srs light to go off.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

See pic for mounting location for temp sensor.

Yes the impact sensor needs to be mounted by the hood release.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pic looks like there's a extra bracket mounted to the hood release bracket.

Will it still work if I do not use that bracket. It's missing a well.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure I have never tried it. I know the sensor orientation is critical to turn the light off and insure proper deployment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks for your help. I'll go ahead and acc pet. Could you possible get the part number for the sensor bracket. I'm not able to find it
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
All of the Ford part illustrations show the sensor bolting directly to the core support, no mounting bracket is listed. I don't know what acc pet means??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Accept it.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok. All you need to do is rate the answer. The site does not have the accept option any more. A positive rating is now the same as an accept.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this sensor is not in the right angle. Will the bag deploy when I re connect the power
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
No it won't.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im looking and there is actually no where to mount it, What exactly does it mount to?

http://c-fphotography.com/photos/photo7.JPG

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2 holes on the hood release are not there
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Core support broken off in that location? Was this vehicle in a wreck or is it a salvage title? Don't know what to tell you but the support should look just like the drawing I sent. Kind of makes sense since the sensor was missing in the first place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was salvage but was hit on driver side,

What exactly makes this sensor to tell the bag to deploy
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it has the wrong core support. This sensor does not tell the bag to deploy. It is a severity sensor and gives deceleration data to the module so the module can decide on how fast to deploy the bags. The bags can be deployed at different speeds depending on severity. The sensor for deployment is internal to the module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the angle has nothing to do with it what so ever, Say if shifts/turns while driving it wont deploy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would something like this work? http://c-fphotography.com/photos/photo8.JPG i do think it is the wrong core, Its deff not from this car.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes the angle is critical to ensure proper deployment. I cannot endorse non factory mounting for safety devices for liability reasons.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does it need to have metal contact tho, When mounting ?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
According to the wiring diagram it does not need metal contact for grounding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay ive angled it everyway i can think of, And the light still didnt go off, Unless it takes some time to refresh its self?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
No if its good the light should go off. Is there a flash code before it stays on steady or does it just come on and stay on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Comes on. Off with all the other lights. Then stays on.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a scanner that can retrieve codes from the restraint control module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a obd/srs scanner. I don't think it will pull from rcm
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are many faults that can make the light come on solid without a flashout code. At this point we need to know what the code is along with the parameter ID (PID) to determine which part of the system is at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Who besides dealer would have a scanner like that.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure, I think the newer snap on modis or solus will do it, I have no way of knowing what shops would carry those scanners.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try a snap on one tomorrow.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK sounds good.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech