Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

econoline 350: my 1988 ford e 350 rv will not start .

my 1988 ford e 350 rv will not start . i have a new solenoid a new battery .i checked d fuel pump , fuel is coming out of the hose. i was told there is a starter module somwhere is this true please help mo xxxxx

Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I will try to help. Can you tell me what engine is in this Van please? 5.8L , 7.6L or diesel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5.8L

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
OK, so when you say it won't start, will the engine spin and just won't crank? or when you turn the key, the engine doesn't spin at all and you get nothing?.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the engine spins and won't crank

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
OK, You did check fuel pressure and you did have gas come out of the fuel supply line correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
OK, Can you pull a plug wire off and tell me if your getting spark to the plugs? If you are not getting spark it won't crank. If you are getting spark, then we may have lost injector pulse. It helps to use a spark tester. I have used just a screwdriver but sometimes it will shock you if you do that. So be careful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i will try this 2 morrow can i get back 2 you

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
OK, sounds good. just repost to this thread and it will alert me. thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
your quite welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i checked the spark plugs i am not getting any fire from them

Expert:  Edward replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that usually can be fixed by replacing the stator and module in the distributor. You may get lucky and just replace the module, but if not, the distributor will need to be removed, and the stator replaced. If you have never done that, it may be easier just to replace with a reman. Distributor. But I would try another module first. You will need a thin walled 5.5 mm socket to replace the module. Its a special sized socket for the screws that hold the module to the distributor.
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000