A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

taurus: How do you replace the air/smog pump on a 2000 taurus,

Customer Question

How do you replace the air/smog pump on a 2000 taurus, flex fuel engine?
Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is the 8th digit of the VIN?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

flex fuel vehicle. 8th digit of Vin is 2

I have it out of car but can't get it back in. It was almost impossible to remove, I took out from the top, around the upper radiator hose. Much harder to get back in now :-(

I need photos or a diagram if you have because I can't seem to get it all together so it fits in the bracket that is attached to the subframe and the hose connections are all pointed in the right direction. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have edited my reply.

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The pump should be replaced from the bottom side of the vehicle, the replacement instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Secondary Air Pump—3.0L (2V) FFV Replacement Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The directions are not clear. My air pump is attached to a supporting bracket on the subframe, not shown on diagrams. It does not say HOW to remove, there is no room to maneuver. When I finally removed it, I had to disconnect the air pump from the bracket that is attached to the subframe (3 long screws) and take out from above past the upper radiator hose. I then disconnected the bracket, pulled the bracket out out leaving the air pump. I then was able to squeeze the pump past the radiator hose from above. Now I have the bracket reattached to car, but not sure if this is in correct position (I think it is).

I could not remove the air pump from below as .pdf indicated, no room to maneuver as far as I can see.

Assuming you reattach the pump to the bracket (on the car) I need help getting it positioned back in and how to go about positioning, that is the problem!

In pic 3, is this the front of the vehicle where the arrows point? Is pic 3 taken from above or below?

I have no clue what pic 4 is?

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. I am surprised that you were able to remove from the top of the vehicle. The pump is much easier to replace from the bottom side of the vehicle.

In pic 3 the arrows are pointing to the smog pump and hoses.

pic 4 is referring the subframe mounting bolts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shawn - you must be talking about the wrong car! This is one of the most impossible things I have ever done with cars.

I asked on pic 3 if the pic is from the top or bottom and which direction is the front of the car.

The bottom has an opening barely big enough to get my hand thru, you CANNOT remove from bottom. The top is blocked by a module with wires and above is the battery bracket. The radiator housing is only an inch away in front.

Do you not have any better instructions, photos, diagrams?

If not, this answer is not the right one. Thanks for trying.

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Did you try removing the splash shield from the underside of the vehicle?

Ther information I have sent is directly from the 2000 Taurus service repair manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Shawn - you did not answer my question on the picture/diagram, please opt out and pass on to someone who might have done this before. Thanks for trying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And yes, the splash shield has been removed. I can send a picture of the bottom of the car looking up towards the bracket if you want so you can believe what I am saying - NO ROOM!

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

We usually remove the cooling fans to get better access to the air pump and remove it and install it by the top under the hood. You will need to remove the right front wheel and inner splash shields to install the bolts and the hoses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AP - remove the cooling fans? I wonder how I managed to get it out without all this fuss and did not even take off the wheel. Its going back in that is problem. What is the best way to remove the fans? Maybe I just need to take it to a dealer, this is the biggest PITA I have ever seen with cars, and I have been a backyard mechanic for years! What a mess.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The cooling fans come out through the top of the vehicle. The factory directions are below, but they do not show much.

CLICK HERE

You only need to remove the one closest to the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - this may do the trick AP. I am done for the day tho, arm is sore. I will try it tomorrow and let you know. If I can get the fan out, it will be easier. Thanks.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I'll be online tomorrow while I'm watching the NASCAR race. Just keep me informed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ap - have it all in - thanks! The radiator deal made it possible. However, it is not running as far as I can tell. Doesn't the pump run at start up? Is the suction side connection on the bottom, nearest the subframe? This was a code P1413. I replaced the pump because it was blowing fuses. Thanks.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The air pump will only come on when the ECU (engine Computer) turns it on when needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - thanks. Th eunit must be functioning tho because the car starts and runs perfectly and gets 30+ MPG on highway. I know this was not in original question and you don't have to answer, but if the unit was blowing fuses wouldn't that mean that replacing the pump should fix?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if that is where the short was located. It also depends on what fuse # XXXXX blowing and when, key on or engine running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AP - It was the 20AMP fuse, position 111. This fuse was noted on this website for the pump in another post. There is no other fuse? I just figured the pump was jammed up, pulled to many amps, blowing the fuse. My ECM has to be working or the car would not start or run bad I would think.

I am going to give you an EXCELLENT rating.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the pump is the only component blowing the fuse. The ECM is good, since the vehicle runs and now after the pump replacement runs even better fuel mileage wise.

The pump is just an electrical motor and when the windings in the motor go bad, the motor draws more amps and blows the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But I just replaced the pump and it is not running when the car starts up - I checked it under the car, no air is being drawn in or out. This is a code 1413 problem causing my engine light to come on and not passing my emissions (this is not code 1411 as earlier noted, my mistake) - code ID is secondary injection circuit low.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You are getting this code now after a road test and the pump replacement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not checked for the code since replaced, but assume I would still get the problem since the pump is not running at startup. I have not driven the car in 2 weeks and the the battery was out when I was working on pump replacement. The pump still does not run. I will see if I can get a local auto shop to see if there is a code now, but probably the same 1413.

Last time I replaced the fuse thinking it would solve problem and the car ran without engine light for a while - but eventually the light came back on and I noted another blown fuse, so decided to replace the pump. Now, not sure what the deal is!

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Check and see if any codes are in the system. Since the battery was disconnected, there might not be any codes.

But like I stated, the air pump will not come on until the ECU commands it to. It will not come on at start up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks AP, will do.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Keep me informed.
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help - the pump began running so loud you could hear in my car, so much for aftermarket quality. But, I finally passed emissions.

BTW - in my Haynes manual it says the air/smog pump is only a requirement in CA.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

It is requirement in CA, but there are several vehicles in the other 49 states that have them also.