Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609

f-150: my 2003 f-150 has the overdrive light blinking on and

Customer Question

my 2003 f-150 has the overdrive light blinking on and off on the shift column and the service engine soon light is on, it usually goes out after letting in sit overnight, but now its always on and it was shifting funny for a few miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 years ago.

My name is Jeremy and I will assist you.

Does it only shift funny when the vehicle first starts up in the morning or when the engine/transmissions is cold?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it started out shifting that way until it warmed up, the other night i would put it in gear and i pushed the throttle down and it would barely move for about a 100 ft or so and then it would start to move, when this happens the ac also doesn't work

Expert:  Jeremy replied 4 years ago.

The reason the A/C doesn't move is because you throttled it. The A/C clutch will kick off to give your engine the needed horsepower to get the vehicle moving.

You will need a scan tool to see what the engine and transmission codes. A cheap scan tool will not work for this. You need one that can connect with the network. I wanted to diagnose to point you in the right direction.

What it sounds like to me is your TTF (transmission temp sensor) is bad and needs to be changed. What happens when it goes bad is you get a check engine light because your transmission module tells the PCM there is something wrong. Your O/D flashing light means there is a fault in your transmission.

What this sensor does is it will tell your transmission when to shift. When your transmission is cold, it will shift early and cause it to slip because the sensor is not actuating the modules in the transmission to work properly. When it warms up, it shifts normal. Sometimes just changing the fluid will solve this, but not always. To change this sensor, you will need to drop the transmission oil pan and remove the filter. It will be the square sensor held in with one bolt on the driver side of the transmission. It is the only one that is accessible without having to take other components off. The rest, you have to take other parts of the transmission off.

If you took it to a shop, the labor guide shows .6 hrs to change it, which is just above 30 minutes. It should be a maximum of 1 hour with clean up, fluid fill, etc. This is for a professional technician to do the work. A novice or DIYer can do it in about a hour and half to two hours, max. That is including jacking it up, etc.

I suggest getting the codes read at you local auto parts store. Some, like Autozone, Advances, Krager, NAPA, and Oreilly's will do this for free. That is to verify you have no engine codes as well.