Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

F150: My 1991 ford f150 has problems with stalling. I can be

Customer Question

My 1991 ford f150 has problems with stalling. I can be sitting at a stop and it will start acting like its choking and sometimes lurches and then dies. Happens after it warms up.
It starts right back up.
The throttle body was cleaned, the idle air valve replaced, the fuel relay and filter were replaced, the spark plugs and wires were replaced, as well as the distributor cap and rotor. The problem remains the same and my mechanic can not figure it out.

Any ideas??? Thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using
justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with your
concern today.

Just seeing if you still
need assistance with this problem?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is this a joke!!!!!!!!!

I received a text saying you needed more info and you asked me nothing!!!

There has been no response to my question, except "do you still need assistance with your problem"

Are you kidding me?!?! It took five hours for that?!?! WTF!!!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Nobody has responded.
The one response I got yesterday only asked if I still needed help!!
Of course!!....no one has done anything!!
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, sorry about the delay. This is commonly caused by a failing throttle position sensor, TPS sensor. Have your mechanic make sure the sensor is within specification at closed throttle and that the signal does not drop out as the throttle is opened. Many times just wiggling the wires to the sensor will cause a change in idle. If this happens, replace the sensor as well. Let me know what is found. The signal wire should read 1 volt at idle position and around 5 volts at full throttle position. Thanks
Has the tps been checked? Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Thanks for the help. I appreciate your response. I am waiting for the shop to open at 8:30pst.

This may be one of the things he has already replaced. I'm not sure yet until they open and i can check.

I am new to Just Answer and not clear as to how this works. I do want to make sure you get paid. if this is something he has already replaced then i will need more help. will this additional help fall under the same fee+bonus or is it another transaction.

The question continues as long as it is the same problem for this price. Just let me know and we can continue as needed. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

Other than the items listed already, the other things the mechanic has done

is:

1. replaced the throttle position sensor.

2. replaced the water temp sensor (was reading very high voltage when cold and very low when hot.)

Other suggestions??

thanks

Has he checked for any computer codes? That would be helpful also. As for other items, fuel pressure (35-45 psi) , egr valve sticking partially open, egr vacuum regulator sticking causing the egr valve to open at the wrong time. Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He says he has checked all that. He's suggesting maybe the egr channels in the intake are clogged which he says would require removal of the intake.

Your thoughts?
Clogged egr Ports would not cause this. Clogged ports would cause valve rattle under driving conditions, nothing at idle. Ask him if he just replaced the tps or if he actually verified the 1 volt signal with the engine at idle? Also, is this a 5.0 liter engine? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is a 5.0.
I will take the truck back to him tomorrow and have him test the voltage
And will let you know.
Thanks.
That is important, as these sometimes have issues with the shaft on the throttle body twisting and it gives the wrong reading to the sensor causing erratic idle situations. Just let me know after it's checked. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help.

The problem was resolved.

I believe the egr regulator was sticking.

thanks again.

Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 1 year ago.
That can do it. Thanks