Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220
Ford

I have a 2005 Ford Freestar SE. Recently we have had the battery

light come on periodically and... Show More
light come on periodically and go right back off. The alternator and battery are only a year or so old, but today I noticed that the ABS, Brake and Battery light were on. I have googled the issue and it seems like many Freestar owners are experiencing the same issues, but I haven't seen a solution. I can't really afford to take it to the dealer because I am out of work and our money is really tight, but can't afford to have the van go down. Any help would be appreciated!

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

There could be a couple of problems. But I will start with the easy ones. It is possible the master cylinder is low and needs brake fluid. This will cause the brake light and abs light to come on. Also possible the module inside the alternator that turns the batt light on is bad. When you get a rebuild alternator they do not replace this module and sometimes it take several alternators to work correctly.

Steve :

The second problem the Freestar, has which hopefully is not your concern is water gets into the computer and causes the battery light to come on and other issues. In order to repair will require replacing the computer and sealing the new computer water cannot get into it.

Steve :

Customer:

Ok, we think it's figured out. We took it to Tires Plus 2 years ago and they replaced the alternator and the battery, problem that was found at a different Tires plus location and they found that the battery that was installed was not for our van, it was for a Diesel Ford pick up. Whoever installed it couldn't even put the hold down back in because the battery was too big! The battery was just flopping around in the front. This Tires Plus just replaced the battery for free and noted the alternator could be bad now because of the voltage spikes it was causing and put it in the notes, so if I have issues I won't have to pay anything to replace it. The only code that was coming up was a body ground? Does any of this sound right or possible?

Steve :

what was the code number?

Customer:

The code is B1317

Steve :

hi

Customer:

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday.

Steve :

no problem give me a few minutes

Steve :

The reason that code was set because the alternator was not charging and the voltage dropped below 10 volts

Steve :

I would suspect the alternator is bad. and will need to be replaced.

Customer:

Could the larger battery they installed before caused the alternator to act up? The erased the codes, so I know it will take a few days to act up again? They said they will replace the alternator if it acts up.

Steve :

I doubt it was replacing the battery. It is more than likely a bad alternator,

but you can wait and see.

Customer:

I may take it back to them next week and have them replace it just to be safe, since they already said they would replace it because of the mistake with the battery. Thanks a lot