Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

2005 Ford F150 5.4 Triton engine stalls while idling or slowing

2005 Ford F150 5.4 Triton engine stalls while idling or slowing for stop. Local mechanic's have detected no codes during diagnostic, throttle body cleaned, fuel filter replaced. Can you suggest course of action from this point?

I would start with checking the MAF sensor plug(wiggle test) and then check the sensor to see if dirty(spray cleaner sold at most parts places). I have seen on a couple with newer style MAF sensors on ford vehicles contamination cause stalling and no power. On 2 with sever stalling I sprayed them and they were good to go. let me know how many miles and if the spark plugs were changed.

lets start here

good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

total miles is 81,000

spark plugs are original.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would a malfunctioning sensor be detected during a diagnostic test.

if you compare reference data with live data you could see a sensor that is off. Just scanning for codes you might not see a problem unless there is a total failure.

if the spark plugs are original I have seen them cause hesitations and misfires.

let me know how the oil looks, if the maintenance was done properly. The worst thing for this VVT(variable valve timing) is lack of oil changes/sludge build up.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it possible to just remove the MAF harness cable to confirm that the MAF is the culprit?

I have seen that work on no starts, these trucks don't perform that great without the MAF sensor. I would tweak the pins in the sensor to make them tighter in the connector, clean the sensor with MAF spray cleaner and see what happens.

let me know if you replaced the spark plugs, got a trick to get them out without them breaking.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I could use the trick, i've inquired about that and everywhere I turn the issue of breaking the plug always comes up. one individual calls for putting penetrating oil for about an hour before an attempt to remove them is made.

I remove the air filter housing with the MAF sensor and as the truck runs spray a water/soap mix(very small about of liquid hand soap). I use 12-16 ounces of water in a fine mist. after the water is done I shut off the truck and with my 3/8 impact gun I zip out the plugs. A few short bursts to loosen the plugs and then full air power. I have an otc spark plug socket. I have not broken one plug yet.

good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The truck is scheduled to go in and have the MAF clean by more of a professional than I am. I'll reply when finished, thanks.

great. They will appreciate a trick to get the spark plugs out. The fine mist of water steam cleans the plugs so they can come out with less effort.

good luck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the long delay. The truck is back from the dealer, and without going into great detail the part they replaced was the "Power Train Electonic Control Module".

The driver of the truck as been using it for three days as of today and there has been no stalling or rough idle.

I'm guessing that is the main computer for vehicles.

Thanks for your input in this matter. I suppose that with a bad computer the symptoms and in fact the running of the vehicle should have been a lot worse than stalling and rough idle.

thanks again.

you are welcome.

Since the PCM(power train control module) uses inputs from sensors and then controls output components like the TAC(throttle actuated control) or the throttle body this could be the cause. I have seen the PCM , not that often do they fail.

glad you got it fixed