Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Focus: my 2004 ford focus wont turn over. I replaced the alternator

Customer Question

my 2004 ford focus wont turn over. I replaced the alternator about three months ago and the battery. My battery light came on about a month ago and wouldnt turn off. I was driving last week through the mountains and noticed a burning smell. I figured it was my brakes and continued driving but when i arrived at my destination I turned the car off and it wouldnt turn back on. I replaced the starter this moring and still wont turn over. Any ideas on what i should check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. It sounds like the alternator has failed again, fords have alot of problems with aftermarket alternators. This would cause battery to drain which would cause a no start. Moniter battery voltage while trying to start, if it drops below 11v battery is bad or undercharged. Try to charge it and see if that helps, if not battery needs to be replaced. Once vehicle starts if battery light is still comming on this means alternator has likely failed, you can remove it and have it bench tested for free at your local parts store to verify it has failed. If alternator has failed I would buy part from napa, carquest, or dealership as they all sell the best quality parts. Let me know if you run into questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, you can reply to this answer at any time without any additional fee's. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the motor does turn over but not fast enough to start like the battery is weak but it reads 12.5 v ..the alternator i got came from carquest...but i might have to remove it to check ...

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

12.5 seems way too high for a voltage while trying to start. Moniter voltage while trying to start and let me know what it is, thanks.