Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division

The belt which operates the waterpump, alternator,and ac broke

The belt which operates the waterpump, alternator,and ac broke and my car overheated pretty bad. the car is now omitting white smoke from the tailpipe and using alot of coolant. what problem may have occured from the overheating/

Jerry : Hi, I hate to have to answer questions like this, when the repair may be costly. You either have a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder head. Pretty common when an engine is allowed to run hot,especially on engines using aluminum components. You can try a product that may fix the problem if even only temporarily. It is called Barrs head gasket sealer. I have used it a few times and it worked about 50 percent of the time. There are other more expensive products, but have not had any luck with them. If you try the sealer and it doesn't work, the head will need to be removed to replace the head gasket, the head will have to be sent to machine shop to be tested for cracks and surface flatness.

I thought that the head gasket may be the problem at thre very least, and possibly more. I"ll try the sealant and go from there. Thank You.