Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Ford Focus ZX3: I am unable to turn my ignition key in my 2002

I am unable to turn my ignition key in my 2002 ford focus.The steering wheel is locked,the key has no play whatsoever and cannot be turned at all.What are my options for repair I desperatly need this to be fixed.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Are you abel to remove the key?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am able to remove key easily but it will not turn at all not even to access accessories.Also sterring wheel is locked in place.

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question today. Based on your description, the most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective Ignition Lock Cylinder, and will need to replaced. Below are the replacement instructions in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement Instructions Click here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is ignition lock cylinder an item I can get commercially or is it a dealer only item?

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. Most auto part stores, like Auto Zone for example will have them available, (see diagram below).

graphic

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.
Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not
charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so I can help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cannot turn steering wheel enough to get to the removal detent with any kind of tool.Also as I mentioned I cannot turn the key to any position.I am at a severe impasse here.

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. In that case the steering wheel will need to removed as well, (see instructions below).

Steering Wheel Removal Instructions Click Here

Driver Air Bag Module Removal instructions Click Here

charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any special tools required to remove steering wheel or air bag ?

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Please keep in mind this a PAYSITE, and is set up on an honor system. I have sent the information you have requested. Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have changed out the lock cylinder and all accessories work however engine will not start>Battery is not dead,all acc. work just no ignition.It seems as though something may be tripped.Any suggestions?

Expert:  Shawn replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the ignition switch is either defective, or was not installed properly. Below are the ignition switch replacement instructions.

CLICK HERE FOR IGNITION SWITCH

Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Depowering and Repowering

Depowering

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
  1. At the central junction box (CJB), located below the LH side of the instrument panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse F60 (7.5A) from the CJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.
  1. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
  1. Turn the ignition OFF.
  1. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the back up power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches. The side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars. To deplete the back up power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.

Repowering

1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.
  1. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.
  1. Install the RCM fuse F60 (7.5A) to the CJB and install the cover.
  1. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected.

Connect the battery ground cable.
  1. Prove out the supplemental restraint system (SRS) as follows: Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately six seconds and then turn off. If an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault is present the air bag indicator will either: fail to light, remain lit continuously, flash. The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the restraints control module (RCM) to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of five sets of five beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired. Clear all continuous DTCs from the restraint control module using a scan tool.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas