Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

rear brake lights on 1998 ford escort ZX2 do not work the one in the back window does work

rear brake lights on 1998 ford escort ZX2 do not work the one in the back window does work. signal lights work, hazard lights work, running lights work
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Did you test the parts before replacing them?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - how do you test a multi function swtich
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

-Do you own or have access to a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter)?
graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
-Do you want me to send the tests?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Stoplamp Test Procedures Click Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry we misunderstood your question we had this printout yesterday and have already checked out everything according to the charts and everything seems OK
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Then they should work properly, something is being overlooked.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
-What was the OHM reading on the defective lamp?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We do not have a defective lamp
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
-Do the brake lights work properly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no that is the only problem the rear window brake light does work the brake lights by the bumper do not work
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Use the DVOM, and disconnect the inoperative brake light wire connector. Have an assistant push the brake pedal and see how many volts, (see diagram below)
graphic
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The connectors to check are listed below, along with a diagram of the connector locations.
Inoperative Rear Stoplamp Connector(s) Circuit
LH LH Rear Stoplamp C448-3 and C450-3 368 (BL)
RH RH Rear Stoplamp C447-3 and C449-3 367 (Y)
Hi-Mount Rear Hi-Mount Stoplamp C441-1 351 (GN)
graphic

Please keep in mind this a PAYSITE, and is set up on an honor system. I have sent the information you have requested. Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not
charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so I can help you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the connection to the brake lights is dead all other connections are good have replaced now fuses that looked good what next?
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Refer to the pinpoint test F 5 in the tests I sent previously for power from the BPP. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have repeated test F5 the rear window brake light goes on - but not the two brake lights that are near the bumper
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
I understand.The circuit must be repaired (see wiring diagrams below).

LHLH Rear Stoplamp C448-3 and C450-3368 (BL)
RHRH Rear Stoplamp C447-3 and C449-3367 (Y)
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have been told that there might be a fuse under the hood for the rear stop lamps - is that true
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. No, unfortunately not. Below is the fuse panel layout in pdf format ,(just click on the link below).

FUSE PANEL INFORMATION CLICK HERE

charged again. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we assume now that a repair will have to be done on circuit 351 and want to know where would be the best place to start with that
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Correct. Inspect all connectors for any damaged, bent or pushed in pins. Or not fully seated connectors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where are the connectors that you talk about or would we call them plugs
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

They are the plug in style connectors (see highlighted location diagrams below)

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing so far is working but we will keep trying. we are grandparents trying to help out a grandson with little cash. we have troubleshooted many college cars if you know what we mean and have never came across a problem like this. wish us luck and thank you for your time
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome and please make sure I get credit for my time by clicking on the smiley faces.

charged again. Thank you.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Shawn if you get this reply, nothing that was suggested fixed our problem, but a neighbor stopped by and suggested it might be related to the emergency flasher wiring. After we checked that, bingo the brake lights worked.

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Good job, that's why I always recommend proper testing first.