Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

Ford Explorer 4x2: remove harmonic balancer o4 explorer 4.0

remove harmonic balancer o4 explorer 4.0 will not come off even with an air gun
Category: Ford
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

ok when this happens you need to spray the shaft down with penetrating spray for rusty bolts, let it sit for about 10 mins, then make sure you are using the correct pulley for the balancer. A another secret is to lube and put oil in you air gun this will give it more torque and then feather the trigger a couple times. This is a great treat for any stubborn lug nut too. Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you

Crankshaft Damper (Balancer)

Print

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
  2. Remove the engine fan/clutch assembly and shroud.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. If equipped, unbolt the crankshaft pulley from the damper.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. With the engine fan and shroud removed, unbolt the crankshaft damper from the crankshaft

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Assemble a puller to the damper . . .

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. . . . then tighten the center bolt to remove the damper from the crankshaft

5. Remove the damper-to-crankshaft snout attaching bolt.
  6. Assemble a puller to the damper and remove it.

To install:

1. Inspect the front cover seal and replace if necessary.
  2. Apply multi-purpose grease to the front cover seal rubbing surface.
  3. Apply a small amount of RTV sealant to the damper keyway groove.
  4. Align the groove with the crankshaft keyway and install the damper.
    WARNING Never hammer on the damper to install it.
  5. Use a crankshaft damper installation tool to press the damper onto the crankshaft.
    NOTE On 4.0L engines always use a new damper-to-crankshaft bolt. Do not attempt to re-use the old bolt.
  6. Install the damper-to-crankshaft snout and tighten to:
    1. 4.0L VIN X engine 30-37 ft. lbs (40-50 Nm)
    2. 4.0L VIN E engine 44 ft. lbs (60 Nm) then additional 80-90°( 1 / 4 -turn)
    3. 4.6L engine Tighten the bolt to 66 ft. lbs (90 Nm) then loosen 1 turn. Re-tighten the bolt to 37 ft. lbs (50 Nm) and then an additional 80-90°( 1 / 4 -turn but do not exceed 148 ft. lbs (200 Nm).
    4. 5.0L engine 110-130 ft. lbs (149-177 Nm)

7. Install the crankshaft pulley and the accessory drive belt.
  8. Install the engine fan/clutch assembly and the shroud.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable. Run the engine and check for oil leaks.

4.0L (VIN E) SOHC Engine
  1. Remove the engine fan/clutch assembly and shroud.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Unbolt and position the power steering cooler aside for clearance, if equipped.
  4. Holding the pulley from turning, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  5. Use a puller and remove the crankshaft pulley.

To install:

1. Use a crankshaft pulley installation tool, press the pulley onto the crankshaft.
    NOTE Always use a new damper-to-crankshaft bolt. Do not attempt to re-use the old bolt.
  2. Install the damper-to-crankshaft snout and tighten to:
    1. Step 1: 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm)
    2. Step 2: additional 85 degrees

3. Reposition the power steering oil cooler, if equipped.
  4. Install the accessory drive belt.
  5. Install the fan shroud.
  6. Run the engine and check for oil leaks.

4.6L (VIN W, 8) SOHC & 4.6L (VIN H) DOHC Engine
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Holding the pulley from turning, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt.
  4. Use a puller and remove the crankshaft pulley.

To install:

NOTE If the crankshaft pulley is not installed within 4 minutes, the sealant must be removed and the sealing area cleaned.
  1. Apply silicone gasket and sealant to the Woodruff key slot.
  2. Use a crankshaft pulley installation tool, press the pulley onto the crankshaft.
  3. Install the crankshaft pulley and tighten the bolt as follows:
    1. Step 1: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm)
    2. Step 2: LOOSEN the bolt one full turn
    3. Step 3: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
    4. Step 4: additional 90 degrees (do not exceed 148 ft. lbs. or 200 Nm of torque)

4. Install the accessory drive belt.
  5. Install the fan shroud.
  6. Run the engine and check for oil leaks
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Ower
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical