Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

Ford Ranger 4x4: I have a 2004 Ford Ranger, 4.0L, 4WD. I just

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger, 4.0L, 4WD. I just recently had the transfer case rebuilt and installed a new transfer case motor. The vehicle continues to pop out of gear, will not stay in 4WD. The transmission shop seems to think there is something else going on that is making it to continue pop out of gear. I suspect that the problem continues to be with the transfer case because that is where it selects the gears. Is there something else or somewhere else I should be looking to resolve this problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m Chris. Welcome and thanks for asking your question!

Is the transfer case popping out while using high or low?

When it pops out, does the dash light also change to off or a different selection?

What damage was found in the transfer case?

When it pops out, must you do anything or does it go right back in on it's own?

Does this occur during normal 4wd use or something crazy like towing or mudding or rock crawling?

Are you on dirt or grass or mud or snow when this occurs?

Does it pop out with a very harsh noise and feel from the driveline or steering wheel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes, pops out in high; 2. No, there is no dash light changes-pops out and then when you let off the gas peddle then it will go back into 4WD; 3. Berring wrist pin in front of case was damaged and replaced along with a new chain; 4. No, goes back on it's own; 5. Yes, this occurs during normal use; 6. No, driving on pavement; 7. Yes there is some noise and you feel at feet- this vehicle has a standard transmission.

Are you using 4wd high on dry pavement or wet pavement?

Try and explain the need for 4wd high in your particular situation?

Does this seem to occur most of the time when turning?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Dry pavement; 2. Just driving. It should stay in high no matter. Should not pop out; 3. No. Occurs when driving straight.

Are all 4 tires the same brand, size, and tread depth?

Are any tires newer than the others?

Does this occur under light throttle like 10-30% or under hard acceleration or only at high speeds?

Have you ever tried low range to see if it also pops out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Yes, the tires are the same brand, size & tread depth; 2. No; 3. It occurs in light/low throttle; 4. No, have not tried driving in low range.

Alright, thanks for all those replies.

You need to get the transfer case back out for repair. Below are 2 images showing what needs to be checked out inside.

graphicgraphic

.

.

Did I answer your question fully?

Did I provide all the detail you needed?

Was I nice and professional?

If the answer is YES, please rate my answer EXCELLENT!!!

Doing so will leave me feedback. When I get one of the 3 higher

levels of feedback the website pays me for helping you. My goal

is of course to get paid, since this is my source of income, but it is

also to have satisfied customers. Satisfied customers return in the future.

Thank You for asking your question. You are helping me out, just

as I am you. If you need to follow up or clarify my response, or need

more detail. Please I beg you to reply, simply press REPLY TO EXPERT.

God Bless, Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.