Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE

Ford Windstar: I have a 2002 windstar 3.8. It started idling

Customer Question

I have a 2002 windstar 3.8. It started idling rough with a loss of power and the OD light will flash until I restart the engine A computer check says its EGR related so I replaced the EGR valve and the EGR sensor with no help. I then removed the EGR valve and plugged the hole at the intake but no improvement.I did notice that when I replaced the plugs they were covered with white clumps of sand looking substance . Does this sound like the catalytic converter because it s now spark knocking after warm up when accelerating even though the temp is normal
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today. Can you tell me all the codes that you have? It sounds like you have a vacuum leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im looking for the paper. thks
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll be standing by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system.

Probable causes,

Blocked passage on EGR system
Failed EGR valve
EGR solenoid faulty
Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable
Failed EGR position sensor where applicable
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok the most common issue with the engine you have that sets the code you have is blocked EGR passage. It has 6 ports. You have to remove the black upper intake. In the lower intake manifold it has the ports that need to be cleaned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I watched a video of a guy remove the upper and lower intake to replace a long tube that had a hole in it . I think it had vacuum flow. They never said the function of this or what the symptoms were. Can you tell me? I was going to replace it since I would be that far into it.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Here is more info on the EGR port cleaning the big problem is the tip of the port stop's up so you have to remove the upper intake and clean the tip of the port. It commonly dumps all the EGR flow into the one or two ports that still flow . The pic shows the front 3 egr ports.graphic

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I watched the video too. He was replacing the black tube for a coolant leak. The video would help you see what you need to do to get the upper black intake off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWomi-tfjoc

Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you know your stuff ! Can I use you for all my Ford issues in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
,I forgot to ask about torque settings and the order in which to tightenthe bolts for the upper and center intake. Thks
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Yes here are the specs and you can use me all you'd like.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I recently ask a question and Steve did his best to help with what he had to go by. I would like your opinion please.I have a 2002 windstar.It misses and stumbles when first started but runs normal at low speeds up to around 70 then stumbles and wont accelerate until I back off the speed. Then after 10-15- miles will run fine again.The ecm kicked these codes out C 1103- U1262- B1318-P0401-90171-P0174- P0316.The EGR valve has been upluged for sometime and I replaced the fuel filter and 6 months ago the coil pack,the air idle control valve and the fuel pressure regulator . Any ideas ?