Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford: How to remove axle shaft on a 2000 ford ranger, 4x4,

How to remove axle shaft on a 2000 ford ranger, 4x4, 4.0 v6 - has vaccum line to front hubs. How do you remove axle shaft?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Which ones, Front or Rear?
-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
front - actually i'm replacing upper and lower ball joint, and I needed to get the steering knuckle out of the way.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Do you need the ball joint replacement instructions as well as the half shaft removal instructions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mainly the 1/2 shaft removal. How is the shaft fixed to the bearing? How do I get the shaft out of the bearing? I'm guessing there is a snap ring - but how to get to it? What is the special tool I need?

Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. In order to remove the half shafts, you will need a special tool, or you can try using a flat blade,or a pry bar to pop the axle out, the removal instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the links below).

Halfshaft-Vehicles with Pulse Vacuum Hubs (PVH) Removal Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i remove the hub lock assembly? The instructions don't say.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. Sorry about that, here you go.

Wheel Hub - With Pulse Vacuum Hublocks (PVH) Removal Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for the instructions. Have you done this job before? I'm curious how to install the clips? I don't have them - so am wondering if there is another method to do this?
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I have. Which clips are you referring to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The clips that go over the plastic part that contains the splines for the locking hub.
Expert:  Shawn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question today. You will need the special tool, otherwise you may damage the hub, and cause it to leak, try contacting your local Ford dealer parts department, some dealerships have a loan a tool program.

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas