proautotech
proautotech, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

Ford Expedition 4x4: my 99 ford expedition wont start.... it

my 99 ford expedition wont start.... it died on me yesterday while driving......it will crank but not turn over
Category: Ford
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

do you have starter fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
starter fluid?
Yes it comes in a spray can. They sell it at auto stores walmart as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oh sorry was so focused on the vehicle wasnt think outside my rig...duh

ok i can get some. now what...:)

We need to spray this into the throttle body. Just disconnect the air filter spray it inside the hose. See if it will fire it will die but it should fire up for a few seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have a k&n airfilter kit installed so where would i need to disconnect..
That tube goes to the throttle body assembly. This is the intake tube. Anywhere behind the filter will be sufficient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i'll give it a try it will be a bit since i have to ride my bike to napa...

Okay grab 2 cans if you can. Just in case!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ...well it started for a second then died....
Okay. You have a bad fuel pump.

Would you like the steps to replace?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i had my fuel pump changed about 2years ago is this a part the fails often..could it maybe be the relay or anything else that is nit such a pain to change..
Not likely.

But you can verify the power is getting to the fuel pump if you have a volt meter.

I suggest going to amazon and getting a fuel pump overnight it for half the cost that the dealer and napa charge.

The fuel pump only turns on for a few moments when the key is turned on. So you will need someone to cycle the key while checking with a voltmeter. Going into the relay you should have battery voltage on the light blue orange wire at all time 12v on red when key is cycled on. Than it should have voltage going through the dark green yellow wire which goes to the inertia switch.

I myself would go right to the inertia switch check for power coming in on dark green yellow wire and going through the switch to the fuel pump on the pink black. If so you can be certain the wire is giving power. You would have to drop pump to verify it is getting voltage.

The inertia is behind the passenger kick panel pull panel off to gain access. CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me to gain credit. Thanks!
proautotech, Ford Mechanic
Experience: College Training. Current Lead Tech