Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

Ford Mustang: my 2004 Mustang wont go into gear without pumping

my 2004 Mustang won't go into gear without pumping brakes. Has been that way for a couple of weeks. Now it won't go into gear at all. What could this be? thanks!
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

When you say it won't go into gear, do you mean you are having trouble moving the shifter from Park?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the button on the gear shift won't push in and it won't go into gear. For a week or two if I pumped the bakes a lot & pressed on the brake as hard as I could, it would finally allow the button to push in and the gear shift to pull back
Ok. First- check your brake lights and see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.

If the lights are NOT working, the problem will be the Brake Pedal Position Switch. This switch controls the rear brake lights, and also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. The switch is located at the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose or broken wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

If the brake lights ARE working, the the problem will be in the shift interlock system. More commonly, the interlock actuator and cable. The actuator is located on the bottom side of the steering column. Inspect the electrical connector for any loose or broken wires. Inspect the cable for any binds or kinks. If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty actuator.