Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Ford Ranger: my windshield wipers stopped working, for a while

my windshield wipers stopped working, for a while they would pause at the top of the cycle but eventually go back down. I replaced all the fuses and the relays but still got nothing. the motor gets hot even though i can't hear it running

Ted G. :

If the wiper motor is getting hot it sounds like you have power there. This would lead me to believe the motor is bound up internally and needs to be replaced.

Customer:

That's what I thought myself

Customer:

I've ordered a replacement motor, just have to wait for it to come in the mail

Ted G. :

Yup you are on the right track. make sure you don't try to use it much or you can burn the switch contacts too.

Customer:

I think I will just pull it off and wait for the new one

Customer:

thank you Ted

Ted G. :

You' re welcome, feel free to return to this thread if you have any follow up questions.

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

i'll do that

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Ted,
I was wondering if you have any advice on how to remove the motor. I have a Ranger/Explorer repair manual but there aren't any photos on how to do it exactly, just a description and no videos on youtube that have have found either.
Remove the 4 bolts that hold it to the firewall. Pull it out some and remove the e-clip that holds the linkage on. Remove the electric plug and you're done.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Ted, the manual made it sound way more complicated, way more than it looked
Thank you, it should be a fairly easy replacement.