Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
18805678

Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT: I have a ford explor 2002 with

I have a ford explor 2002 with 89754 miles. vin# XXXXX My promblem is that the rear timing chain tension is loose or broken. I want to fix it, do I have to remove the engine to work on the chain.

Auto Go :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Auto Go :

Yes, the engine must be removed to access the rear timing chain. Some of the components will be located behind the transmission bell housing so the engine must be removed. If you are just wanting to change the hydraulic tensioner, that can be replaced without removing the engine.

Customer:

Is this a commen problem with the engine with ford and can you send me some digram what the tensioner is located. I have a mechant book for this car but pictures aren't to clear.

Auto Go :

Yes, timing chain problems are VERY common on this engine. Usually it's the plastic guides that break. If you find any broken guides, you may need to pull the oil pan to get all the pieces out. Let me see what kind of diagrams I can come up with. One moment

Auto Go :

Here is the right side tensioner. located on the right rear cylinder head. It looks like a bolt from the outside. It just screws out like a bolt.

Full Size Image

Auto Go :

I'm working on more diagrams. one memoent

Auto Go :

Here is a photo of the rear camshaft sprocket and chain. The lowwer part of the chain cannot be seen as it's inside the cylinder head and block.

Full Size Image

Auto Go :

There are lots of special tools needed to properly time this engine. I recommend checking your local auto parts store to see if they have have a ford master cam tools set that you could rent. Otherwise you are going to run the risk of improper timing. Due to the amount of work that is involved in this job, I recommend you do everything you can to get it right the first time.

Auto Go :

Are there any specific questions about this job that you have?

Auto Go :

At this point I'm somewhat unclear on exactly what information you are looking for

Customer:

So by removing the tenisor would it get out of time.

Auto Go :

no it will not as long as you do not rotate the engine.

Auto Go :

for engine assembly purposes there is a special "dummy" tensioner that is included in the master timing tool kit that goes inplace of the tensioner while assembling so the engine can be rotated during assembly. But if you are just going to replace the tensioner, as long as you don't move the engine with it out, you will be fine.

Customer:

Okay Ill try the tenisor,Is there some better picture to see how this is place+

Auto Go :

Here is a photo of the rear tensioner. The location pic above is the best one i have. It's located on the right cylinder head all the way in the back. You can't miss it because of the large hex head. It looks like a really big bolt head sticking out of the side of the head.

Auto Go :

Full Size Image

Auto Go :

You could probably see it best looking through the right wheel well.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your input. Now Ill have some work to do Thank you

Auto Go :

Your welcome. Have a good day!