6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

Ford e350 EXT: RE: 2007 E350 14 pass van RSC Service Alarm

Customer Question

RE: 2007 E350 14 passenger van VIN 1FDSS31L27DB14027

i have to make a 5 hour trip in our church bus at 5 am tomorrow morning and we have a very annoying Service RSC Now light and alarm that keeps going off every 10 minutes or so. I intend to get it serviced very soon, but in the meanwhile, how can I silence this alarm? Other than the alarm, the van is running just fine.

PLease respond toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Thanks! Pastor John
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Pastor John and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.

I'm going to address this question so that you are not left wondering...in limbo... before your trip. Unfortunately, the warning chime cannot be silenced on your van. I know this is not the answer that you want to hear, but let me explain.

The Roll Stability Control System is a safety feature and an important component for a vehicle that transports this many people. The Anti-lock Brake module controls the anti roll system by monitoring the throttle position, the yaw rate sensor, the wheel speed sensors, the steering wheel angle and the speed at which the steering wheel is moving to determine if an unsafe event occurs so it can activate it's anti-rollover protocols. If the ABS module detects a failure that will prevent the anti-rollover protection from working, it turns on the warning message and the chime.

Safety, Anti-theft and emissions controls are intentionally designed by the manufacturer so that they cannot be bypassed. The warning chime is actually intended to be annoying to persuade the driver to have the problem addressed. Keep in mind that while driving the van with the warning on, the roll stability system will not be able to operate.

The warning chime itself is built into the instrument cluster and cannot be disabled without making the cluster inoperative, which will then keep the engine from starting.

I do wish I had a short term solution for the annoyance of the warning chime, but I did want you to understand WHY there isn't a way around it.

I hope this has been helpful and wish you all the best on your trip.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
James, you're right. that was not the answer I was looking for. What is the MOST LIKELY problem within this RSC system and how is it fixed and what is it likely to cost?
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
Well, only by testing the module and retrieving any trouble codes in the system will a diagnosis be accurate, but off the top of my head, I would suspect the stability cluster sensor is causing the issue , also called the inertia module. This is one unit that contains a yaw sensor, roll rate sensor and a longitudinal and latitudinal acceleration sensor. The reason that this makes sense is that there are only so many components to the system. If the throttle position sensor was at fault, the check engine light would also be on and you would likely have driveability issues. If one of the wheel speed sensors or the abs system was the issue, you would also have an ABS light on. The inertia module is specific only to the RSC. This module and the labor to replace it should be around $400, depending on shop labor rate. Again, a proper diagnosis should be carried out, this is just my best guess given what I have read above.

God bless.

6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience: Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
James,

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the traction control light and ABS light also come on with the RSC Service Now light and alarm. Does that indicate a different module needs replaced?

Thanks again, John
Expert:  6Bucs replied 2 years ago.
I see. So it IS an ABS related issue then. I asked a couple of the other guys at the shop today as well, nothing really stands out in particular as a common problem with the E series. The ABS controls the RSC functions and the inertia sensor could still be the problem, but the ABS light being on as well just opens up more possibilities.
James.