Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Taurus SEL: I have a 2005 Taurus.V-6 3.0 Engine. My check

I have a 2005 Taurus.V-6 3.0 Engine. My check engine light came on with a code 0302 at around 70,000 miles(miss-fire no.2 cyl.)
I replace the plugs, wires and the coil pack and it was good until around , 85000 miles.The check engine light came on again at 85000 miles with same code. I got tired of playing around with it and I drove it with the engine on but, althought my gas mileage dropped to 25mpg/gallon. Miraculously the check engine light went off by itself at 95000 miles. Everything was ok. Vehicle run great and it gets 32 miles/gallon on the highway.
Currently, the light is on again started at 109500 miles and it miss fire. (code 0302 again). It miss-fire but, the mis-fire clear up after a minute or so. Funny that the check engine light clear itself and come back on again. It have been on and off, with-out doing anything.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Are you by any chance loosing any coolant?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I notice a slight leak of anti -freeze that too ,come and go. Not really heavy.
The problem you are describing sound very much like you may have a coolant leak on the #2 cylinder from the head gasket. The 3.0 is famous for this concern and what happens is the coolant leak is very small but will foul the spark plug out after setting and usually miss for a few minute on start up and then the coolant burns off and the miss clears. I would start with having a block test done, its a fairly simple test that checks the cooling system for any signs of hydrocarbons (exhaust ) in the cooling system.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be
FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a
subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR
EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again.
Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a
negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can
further help you.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would you say, I have a bad water pump too?

If you loosing coolant out of the weep hole on the pump then yes its in need of replacement and at 109,000 miles its very likely. That being said, a bad water pump will not cause the Miss your describing but should be inspected to see if it leaking, this type of leak will come and go in the early stages and will be on the passenger side up front when the coolant hits the floor.