Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford: i have a 1997 ford escort lx. can someone tell me the

Customer Question

i have a 1997 ford escort lx.
can someone tell me the step-by-steps instructions on replacing the rear drum brakes in my car.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

I have enclosed the complete instructions for replacing rear breaks on your 1997 Escort. Let me know if you need more information.

Download HERE and HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so we really need to use Brake Adjustment Gauge and stuff like that/
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
No you can get away with out it and do it by hand, the shoes need to be adjusted to have a very slight drag on the drum when adjusted correctely.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE/3-5 STARS/SMILEY FACES , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you, Thank you Ron

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok one more thing.
does this sound like brake or differential bearing noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5tADwYgFQ&feature=youtu.be
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
There is quite a bit of back ground noise so its hard to tell for sure but so if you getting noise its most likely a wheel bearing noise. If im hearing it correctely it sound like a bearing as it seams to change with speed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, and if i turn the wheel left while driving at any speed, even 2 mph, i can recreate this noise. if i turn left and recreate this, will this indicate bearing on right side?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Turning left places the load on the left side so its most likely the left side but If it where I, I would check both sides. There should be some roughness when turning it by nad .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more question,
if turning left and recreating this noise, can this still be an indication of transmission differential bearing issues?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
It is possible, but its also possible its just a wheel bearing. I could not hear it very well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dam, this sucks to just have everyone saying, it is possible for everything to be causing this.
how can i really find out what it is without having to replace part by part. someone also told me that wheel bearing noise is more of a roar and not a whine.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
I would start by checking the wheel bearing for roughness and if it feel nice and smooth with no noise then yes suspect the differential bearing. You are correct, a wheel bearing will usual roar. and not squeel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok and a differential bearing squeals?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it easy to change differential bearing or does that require the tranny to be dropped?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The trans will have to dropped and torn down for this type of job.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wow, how can someone mess up this just by changing cv joints
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The axle pops right out and dosnt usually cause any type of bearing problem when doing so. Have you checked the drive axle to make sure nothing is rubbing on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well when i lift car up on jack stands in front, and put it in drive, i do not hear no squealing. it seems fine, wouldnt it squeal like this if the bearings are bad.

can you put the cv joint in wrong and mess up bearings or do you need tons of force for it to mess up.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
You may not hear any noise with no load on the axles but if the bearing was bad you should feel some roughness. It would be very had to mess up bearings installing a drive axle. You might also want to make sure the CV axle nut wasnt over tightened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tightened them with a 250 lb electric torque wrench.
Thanks Ron.
i apologize for going outside the subject on this.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Not a problem , good luck on your search and thank you as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how much over-torque could cause this squeal?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
The spec call for 175 to 235 Ft lbs. Anything tighter could cause the bearing to burn up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ah it probably a little higher then that.
will it cause it to burn out fast, on first test drive.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
If you went far enough it sure could.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dam, could it also cause wheel bearing issues doing it to tight.
i tightened it with 250 lb gun and kept on pressing the trigger and pressing the trigger like 5 times even though it stopped.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes it sure could, you may have just found your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just went around the block one and then it started squealing
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Try looseing the nut up to the correct torque and see if its changes the noise.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think i found the issue. looks like that back plate hits the rotor on the back. i took off the tire and pushed the rotor with my hand and on the back i saw the back plate move.

Can i just pry out the back plate away from it?
what do you recommend.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can, its fairly flexable and can be bent back in place . But please reset the torque spec on the bearing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will this thing hitting the back plate cause a wine like i see. yes i will retorque that thing.

i bought the following brake pads.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/WAG1/MX473/03351.oap?year=1997&make=Ford&model=Escort&vi=1119383&ck=Search_brake+pads_C0068_1119383_613&keyword=brake+pads&pt=C0068&ppt=C0009

where do those four small shiny metal things go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after hammering the back plate back and retorquing the axle nuts, now that high wine is gone. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Great work!! Thank you as well.