Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2011 f150: wiring diagram for power folding mirrors

Customer Question

looking for a 2011 f150 mirror wiring diagram for power folding mirrors?
Category: Ford
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Greetings and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Please let me know if I can help further,
Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you comment on whether this can be done with changing the switch and adding the aforementioned wires?

I have connected both side mirrors by attaching pins 16 and 7 together,

The question I have is to which two wires do I pigtail on to the switch?

Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Well I have never done it, but I am sure it can be done. I will opt out and let another expert take a look, as I do not have the answer for you.

No need to respond they will chime in if they know.

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the switch- It is the round one which controls the mirrors and folds by pulling the toggle up or down?
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
See if this helps.

graphic

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It looks like pin 4 is associated with folding, can you tell which is the other pin?
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Other pin for what?

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
for unfolding. I assume that one wire will fold and the other to unfold. What do you think?
Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
From what I am reading they use the same power and ground and unfold together.

Click here and look and see if this file helps you, it is the troubleshooter for power folding mirrors.

Normal Operation

When the power folding mirror switch receives a ground signal from the exterior mirror control switch, the power folding mirror activates the power folding mirrors in the opposite direction of the last activation for approximately 20 seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still not able to get this to work- there is a short when I connect the wires that I described earlier. Do you have a recommendation about which wires to connect to on the switch. I see that pins 16 and 7 fold and unfold on the power fold mirrors.

Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
Try ground pin 7 and apply power to 16, what does it do? Then try it the other way, power to 7 and ground on 16, that should make it go the other way. Try this and let me know.

Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I connected both ways and as soon as I hit the switch the fuse trips.

If I understand correctly the switch is able to apply power to both fold and unfold, pin 4 on the switch is labeled as such. From every thing I have read it says that pin 6 is the other wire to connect to. I feel like I am missing something Why is the fuse tripping?

Expert:  BigBob replied 2 years ago.
You know I just do not understand how this system works, I do not have a good description and operation of how it is supposed to work. I will opt out and see if another expert can help.

Bob
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Did the vehicle originally come with memory seats and mirrors?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

The mirrors need to be wired exactly as the schematics show. The switches are not wired to the motors, they are wired to the drivers seat module (DSM). The DSM controls the motors by applying power and ground to the motors on different wires.

After receiving the signal from the switch, the DSM applies power and ground to the fold motors. It then reverses polarity to the motors to fold them in the opposite direction, making it impossible to hardwire the fold motors to the switch. The switches and switch wiring circuits are not designed to carry the kind of current necessary to operate the motors, they are just low current signal wires. That being said, the mirrors need to be wired exactly as the schematic shows and the wires for powerfold functions should already be present in the harness even if the vehicle did not come equipped with powerfold. The problem you have is the DSM is not configured for powerfold and this feature is not configurable with a scan tool. The module would need to be programmed with as-built data from the same model and year that came equipped with powerfold. I know of no other way to get them to work and have been down this road several times with customers wanting to do the same thing as you.

You need a VIN number for a 2011 F150 that has all the options as yours, including powerfold. Then the dealer needs to download as built data from the Ford website for that VIN. Then the as built data needs to be programmed to the DSM on your vehicle. This will turn on the powerfold capability of the DSM and the mirrors and switches just plug in to the existing harnesses.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So I think that I should just add another switch to the dash to accomplish this. I found a momentary rocker switch which should work. Where do you think I could get the appropriate power in the vicinity of the left side of the dash board?

Also before I do this, do you think the dealer would do what you suggested?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Your not going to find a suitable source on the left side, only low current wires there, even the ignition switch is low current now as well as all the cluster wiring and hvac. Things have really changed with power distrubution on these vehicles. I would suggest running a feed from the underhood fuse box and bring it through the fire wall. As far as finding a dealer that will do the as built you will have to ask around, I don't think they will have a problem doing it, its not personal data or anything like that, just a VIN specific data block so the DSM will run the powerfolds. Doing it this way will make it factory just as if the vehicle came with that option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called my dealer today and the service advisor said that he needed to download from a similar truck directly and he did not have one in stock. I mentioned that he could download with a compatible vin number from the web site., but he disagreed. Can you direct me to the website that I could refer to? Thank you
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

He is wrong. The FMCdealer PTS website is where he needs to go. Enter the VIN and click on the as - built tab in the oasis dropdown. Ask to speak to a tech and bypass the advisor, most of them are not technically savvy - thats why their service advisors. Click on screen shot below, this is proof it can be done as long as you have a VIN.

graphic

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Choosing "bad service" or "poor service" leaves negative feedback for me and I do not get paid for the answer. Please click the reply to expert link if there is any reason you cannot rate my answer "Excellent Service" Thanks!
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally got the dealer to try to load a different VIN in to the dsm- They said that when they did that all of the lights on the dash lit up. Is there anything I can tell them to try?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Was this during the programming or were they lit up permanently after the programming? They cannot add or change as built data to any of the other modules. Just the DSM. All other module as built data needs to be from the original VIN. Are they getting any VID block error codes or mismatch when they run continuous self test on all modules at once?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenny- They are still having trouble with loading this config in to the dsm--Would you be willing to to talk to Tim (one of the techs) at my dealer?

Thanks again,

Paul

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I am not allowed any contact other than on this thread. The site has very stringent rules for outside contact, I would be banned from the site for any contact outside this thread.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok- I understand-

So they wanted to confirm that this should be loaded in to the dsm rather than the bcm.

And if so, I should ask them to only load the data for the dsm?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thats correct, just the DSM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I just got off the phone with the service tech- and he now tells me that my truck does not have a dsm. Is that possible? He says that I only have 2 of the 3 modules under the seat.

My VIN is 1FTFW1E67BFA29801

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

He shouldn't even need to look under the seat, it will show up on the IDS network test.

Here is the bill of material for your VIN with the DSM shown.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Here is the as built data from the DSM right from your VIN number

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny- I am standing in the shop with these guys and they have the computer plugged in to the car. When they go to as built the dsm does not show up in the menu. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
If they run the network test does the DSM show pass or fail, or is it listed as an optional module? Sorry for the delay I am very buried at work today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When they ran the test everything passed. But it was not listed in the "as built" tab.

When we compared what you printed for dsm specifaications and what they downloaded from the example vin there is one line that is different which I think needs to be loaded, we just cant get to that screen.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Was the DSM listed in the modules that passed?

Have the tech perform a PMI on the DSM. When asked to turn the key on leave it off and click the tick. It might ask him several times and eventually he should get a message that says the module is blank. Once that message appears the following screens should allow him to enter as built manually. This is forcing as built. The tech should really know this stuff.....no offense but these questions are showing a lack of experience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They tried this a couple of times and it does not come up as "blank" He says that it goes to a screen that says successfully loaded.

Please advise.

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
With the key off? Not possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to go there again tomorrow and go through the motions with them. If we can not get it to go- Do you have any recommendations for dealers in central New Jersey? Are you close by?

Thanks again for all of the advice so far.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no, I am on the west coast. If you are calling around ask if they have a tech that is very skilled in module programming, network diagnosis and network communication issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I went one last time and did the procedure with the tech, like you suggested and it did reprogram automatically with the key in the off position. Again- I was only observing- but that is what it looked like. It did not give the possibility to force the as built data.

Now before I go to the next dealer I was wondering if you could confirm the line in the dsm that needs changing-

The example vin has the following code difference (in line 1) in the DSM-

Mine is 744-01-01 F840 85

Example 744-01-01 FC40 89

All of the other lines are the same.

Do you think that will be the one that will control the mirrors?

Thanks

I will start calling other dealerships and asking for the programming tech.

Paul

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ford does not let us know what line controls what functions, but I am certain that is the difference. It makes no sense that the scanner can reprogram the module with the key off. The scanner should not be able to access the module with it powered down, Maybe the module is on the accessory delay circuit and needs time to power down. worst case the module can be disconnected at the point of performing the PMI, which should certainly make the scanner think the module is blank, at which point the as built data should be able to be manually entered. Again, any good programming tech should be able to do all of this and think on their feet to get this to work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenny-

It worked! I went to another dealer and they were able to get it programmed. The mirrors are now folding in and out.

Thanks for all of your help on this.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. I knew it could be done just needed the right tech.

Have a nice weekend.

Kenny