Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

We have a 2006 F150 XLT that wont shift out of park

We have a 2006 F150 XLT that won't shift out of park
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

When the shifter will not shift from Park, first- Check your rear brake lights to see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.

If the brake lights are NOT working, check your fuses. If the fuses are good, and still no brake lights, then the problem will be the Stop Lamp Switch located at the top of the brake pedal arm. This switch controls the rear brake lights, and also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock, telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. Carefully inspect the electrical connector for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

graphic

If the brake lights ARE working, then the problem is going to be in the Shift Interlock system. Most commonly, the Interlock Solenoid. The interlock solenois is located on the steering column, behind the steering wheel and clockspring assembly. Again, inspect the electrical connector for any damaged or loose wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty Interlock SOlenoid.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The brake light work. I'm not sure if you answer help as you suggest replacing the Interlock Solenoid and that can't be done right now. Is there something else to try which could be related?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, there aren't many other items involved in the Interlock System. It's the brake light switch, to the shift interlock solenoid, which releases the lock on the shift cable. Ford does not provide an "over-ride" procedure, however, on "SOME" models, turning the key to "ACC" and then shifting to Neutral does the trick. Also, sometimes, the shifter is just "hard" to shift from park due to an incline. Try to have someone push the vehcile a bit, and relieve some pressure on the rear wheels, and then try to shift. Again, unfortunately, no easy, magical fix. If the Interlock solenoid is the culprit, then, it is what it is, and that will be the repair. I know it's not exactly "immediate" help, but, not everything can be solved in one quick swoop. Sorry.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair