Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2005 Ford Escape: rad..firing order..coil plug..key on also and pulses

Customer Question

Have a 2005 Ford Escape with the two cylinders on the right hand side by the rad, don't know what the firing order is, both are missing. Check the power side of the coil plug and there is power with the key on but nothing on the ground side. The third cylinder is not missing and has power with the key on also and pulses on the ground. Does this mean a computer problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

If there is no ground pulse on those 2 cylinders then more than likely those 2 drivers in the powertrain control module have failed. Ford had a serious issue with the 05 - 06 Escape for this problem. The fix was to replace the PCM and all 6 coils. The PCM has federal emissions warranty coverage for 8/80 if you have less then 80K miles I would contact a Ford dealer. Usually the coils can also be replaced as consequential damage.

The Ford technical service bulletin number is XXXXX Mention this to the dealer if you end up taking it in under emissions warranty. If you are over 80K then I would recommend changing the PCM, coils and the spark plugs.

Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think that the computer out of a 2007 would work on a 2005 Escape being that the 05 and 06 are having problems. If you want I can rate your answer right now as being very good, I just wanted to make sure that I can stay in contact until the vehicle is running. Thanks a bunch. Mervin.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

You can rate at any time, the thread is always available to you or any follow up.

I would need to know the part number from the old PCM and the part number from the replacement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The serial # XX the 05 is 1FMYU03105KA71542, pcm # XX XXXX-XXXXXX-XX and serial # XX the 07 is 1FMYU93147KA47932, pcm # XX XXXX-XXXXXX-XXX. Would it be possible for Ford to make the pcm work even if the numbers don't match or just order a pcm for the 2005?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
The AUA won't work, try to find a used 5L8Z 12A650 AAD. Direct replacement with updated coil drivers. Otherwise you will have to order from Ford.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect, will let you know.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are having a problem matching that number for this escape, the serial number says it was manufactured in the United States. Is there any possiblity that you have access to that computer, how much and can you ship it to me? My mailing address is Prince Albert, Sask, Canada, postal code is S6V 4W3. Let me know, thanks.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.

It isn't going to match by vin or build date but it will work if you can find that part number. I cannot do anything outside of these threads with JA customers, if I were to get caught I would be banned from the site permanently.

Order it from HERE and have Ford program it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still looking for a match, I'll give you some numbers later. Thanks.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by EscapeNSHO on 12-17-2010 07:02 AM:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
If your PCM bites the dust, Read this thread.

If you should be so unfortunate to toast your PCM like I did, This is what I can tell you:

1. Replace your plugs ASAP to avoid said situation if you have an affected vehicle...(See below copy & pasted TSB)

2. All PCM numbers than end in LD, LE, LF, AAD and LG all superceed into a newer "revised" PCM which is part number 5L8Z-12A650-LH... Now the number on the PCM in your car will read 5L8A-12A650-xxx, That is the Ford engineering number, NOT the part number.. Although nearly identical in this case they are not always this close of a match.

3. I cannot tell you what makes LD through LG PCMs different besides programming codes, but I can tell you that the AAD PCM is for 8/2/04 and up vehicles and that the "L" code PCMs are for earlier build vehicles. This does not mean the AAD will not work for your L code vehicle, My vehicle had an LD PCM and I used an AAD unit. They are available seemingly everywhere unlike the "mythical" LD thru LG PCMs.

4. When the PCM shorts out, you will lose spark to at least two cylinders as the PCM has 3 coils drivers, One driver for cylinders 1 and 2, the next for 3 and 4 and the last for cylinders 5 and 6.

5. Every cylinder that has a no-spark issue will need to have the coil replaced prior to a PCM replacement or you will be looking for another PCM because they will short your new PCM. Now is the time to change your plugs since truthfully, they are the culprit for all this nonsense. For the sake of things, I would reccommend Autolite 104s, (part number APP104) I would also reccommend dishing out the extra cash for Motorcraft coils if you can afford them, otherwise go with an aftermarket coil carrying a lifetime warranty.

6. Replacement of the coils and plugs is EASY work. If you have basic hand tools its a no-brainer. I removed my intake manifold and installed four coils and six plugs and had everything back together in under an hour.

Here is a copy of the actual TSB:
ISSUE:
Some 2005-2006 Escape and Mariner vehicles built on or before 10/3/2005, equipped with a 3.0L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with two or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) for coil on plug (COP) primary circuit faults (P0351 through P0356). This may be due to the COP and powertrain control module (PCM) reacting to radio frequency interference from the spark plugs.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

This is what I found on a forum, let me know how true it is. I could not find the number that you recommended. Thanks.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
He is mostly correct, any of those PCM's will work, its just that the AAD at one point were in good supply and could be found cheaper. He is wrong on the coil drivers there are 6 one for each cylinder they do not share drivers. I would change all the coils and plugs which I think you already were aware of that. So autoecms didn't have any left?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they don't but I will try access on some of the other numbers then, thanks.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome and good hunting!