sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford master technician since 2001

how do i change the fuel filter on a mondeo 2008 2.0tdci

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

The fuel filter is underneath the car near the rear subframe and fuel tank. It is a paper element filter, to replace it you need to unscrew the small drain tap to allow the diesel to drain in to a suitable container. Once diesel has stopped coming out you then unscrew the bowl off the bottom of the filter housing and remove the element. Fit the new element and replace the seal on the bowl then refit and tighten the bowl.

Now the fuel system needs to be bled to remove any air from it, there is a Ford special tool to do this but I assume you don't have access to this. You need to have some form of priming pump, connect this to the fuel feed pipe in the engine bay (larger of the 2 pipes) and pull the fuel through, once the fuel is through (remember you will get fuel to start with as it is in the fuel line, the air is behind it due to the filter location) connect the priming pump inline on the fuel pump feed pipe and pump the primer until it is stiff then have an assistant crank the engine over while you pump the primer, don't crank the engine for more than 10 seconds a time as this can damage the starter motor. Once the engine is running allow it to idle for a couple of minutes then turn it off, remove the pump and reconnect the pipe and start the engine again.

Below shows the Ford priming tool to give you an idea of the sort of thing you need.

If you have no way to bleed the system then don't try to replace the filter as without bleeding the fuel system you won't get the engine running again. These are quite awkward to bleed due to the fuel filter position.

Item 4 below shows the small drain on the filter

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there a bleed valve that i can connect to or do i have to disconnect the fuel line and pull the fuel through with something like a mightyvac pump?

Hello again, sorry for the delay in replying.

There is a tyre type valve just near the fuel pump so if you can connect to this and pull the fuel through this way then that should work. Yes a small vac. pump should work as I said earlier this fuel system is a bit of a pain to bleed.

Let me know if I can assist further.