proautotech
proautotech, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech

2006 Ford Explorer eddie bauer: to sputter..misfire on cyl..coil

i have a 2006 Ford Explorer eddie bauer truck, took it to the dealer becasue as I was driving on the road it would seem to sputter between 45-50 mph. Dealer said that there is a misfire on cyl. 7 and I would need to replace the coil and plug. How do I go about looking for cyc. 7?
Category: Ford
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.

proautotech :

Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

proautotech :

One moment...

proautotech :

Click here

proautotech :

Click here Arrow is pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

proautotech :

The spark plug is below the coil. Remove the coil insert a spark plug socket with an extension. Remove the plug replace than you can swap the coil.

Customer:

is thier a main ignition coil? and if so would I need to replace that?

proautotech :

No

proautotech :

This is coil on plug. Each plug has its own separate coil.

Customer:

what brand coil and plug should i get, do i need to buy it from the dealer? or can i get a generic one at the autoparts store

proautotech :

Honestly I would replace them all.

proautotech :

I would also replace all of the plugs.

proautotech :

You can go on ebay and buy the coils as a set.

Customer:

whats a good brand to buy?

Customer:

does it make a difference?

proautotech :

These will work. I have used them. It is always best to use the OEM ones.

proautotech :

But you pay 40 per coil.

Customer:

will anything happen to the car if i wait another week until I get all the parts? as of right now it will only sputter slightly between 40-50 mph after that it rides smooth

proautotech :

Nope.

proautotech :

Just expect lower MPG

proautotech :

You can go to autozone and get one coil and plug

proautotech :

Most likely you will spend about 20-30 for one coil and the plugs are 2 bucks a piece.

proautotech :

But I just hate to see you waste money. The ones on ebay are almost identical to the ones from autozone. You pay around 80 for all 8 that is 10 bucks a piece

Customer:

I have only had the truck for less than a year (maybe 7 months) I purchased it with 36,000 miles and now it has 92,000 miles. is there any other maintance I should do while I am replaceing the coils and plugs?

proautotech :

You should not have to worry about anything.

proautotech :

I would change the air filter if it looks rough.

proautotech :

But the coils do fail. That is why changing them all and the plugs will get about 100k more..

Customer:

All the miles i have put on it is hightway miles

proautotech :

They wear out. The problem could be just the plug.

proautotech :

Most new vehicles don't require them to be replaced for 50k+ miles

proautotech :

I always change mine every few years regardless.

Customer:

so in my case change the spark plugs and the coil plugs

proautotech :

If the tech verified the coil is bad yes.

proautotech :

You can expect the rest to be worn out if one is bad. They may work for now but why wait until they cause the same issue slowly in the future. Misfiring cylinders cause engines to overheat and also bad MPG

proautotech :

Keeping up with this now will keep the condition at the best.

Customer:

ok great thanks

Customer:

one more question...on the rear of the car (the bumper) I have backup sensors and one of the sensors got pushed in when i took it to a car wash. do you have the diagram of how i can remove the rear bumper to fix that one sensor.

proautotech :

You can ask all follow up questions to me if you would like after you rate this specific question.

Customer:

Ok great I will do that

Customer:
proautotech, Ford Mechanic
Experience: College Training. Current Lead Tech