gtnby2, Ford Enthusiast
Experience:  20 years working on Fords.

97 F150: with the 4.6 V8..stalling..egr ports going..throttle body

Customer Question

Hi I have a 97 F150 with the 4.6 V8 in it and the truck was stalling or coming close to it when I would come down to an idle. I replaced the IAC valve because it had 20 ohms of resistance from the connector to the valve itself and cleaned the egr ports going into the throttle body real good and it took care of the problem. However, after I put it all back together it started a new issue. Id be sitting at a stop light or something and itd be idling fine one minute then it will start jogging, idling real rough, almost stall, rpms jumping up and down, shake the whole truck, then even out after a bit. thirty seconds to a minute later, it does it again. Am I right in thinking i need a new egr valve and/or DFPE sensor? The check engine light is not on. Please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 4 years ago.

Hello, Have you pulled any codes? I see the check engine light isn't on but have you seen it flash or blink when it does this? the hunting Idle makes me wonder about the new IAC being contaminated by some carbon breaking lose after the clean up. Has it been rechecked for any foreign material?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I havent pulled any codes. And no the check engine light doesnt flash or blink or anything, just the normal flash when i turn the key on before starting the truck. But I will check the IAC right now. If that doesnt work ill hook my tester up
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Post what you find