Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

Ford Escape Hybrid DTC Codes

Customer Question

Ford Escape Hybrid DTC Codes
Category: Ford
Expert:  JacobTD replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!

Yes there sure is! couple options too! If you have a iphone or android smart phone you can buy a obd2 bluetooth interface device for about 20-30$ I use an "elm" You can download a free app called torque. However i suggest paying for the torque pro its like 5$
Another option is to buy a cheeper OBD2 scanner off ebay or amazon.
Yet another and usally the most pratical is knowing that your local autoparts store will scan for dtc for free.. "most"

You are looking for any kind of OBD2 reader. It doesnt have to be fancy to get the dtc codes.

All in all i suggest the bluetooth one.. no cords, super simple, and it will een get online to explain the meaning of the codes and possible causes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

These are not simple OBD2 codes, these are hybrid specific codes. These are also known as dashboards codes. I used a Autozone and a O'reilly's scanner/reader with the wrench light on or off. And I was not able to retrieve a code related to TSB 07-25-12.

The code was for the Auxiliary airflow mode actuator DTC B1239.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Your not going to find anything cheaper than an IDS to retrieve codes from the body control module, smart junction box and battery control modules, which is where most of the hybrid codes are stored. Possibly the Snap On Modis or Solus, but both of these are over 2500 also.

Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for you answer. OUCH! I have seen on some Hybrid Fourms, that the scanguage at can be used to find SOME hybrid codes. I don't know the details and I don't own one of these. Do you have any knowlege of this? I know your a Ford Tech but any info would help.

Thank You. ED

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Scan guage only reads PCM P codes, like any other OBD2 reader. The module that stores most of the Hybrid battery system codes is the BCM (battery control module) and the SJB (smart junction box) Sometimes the BCM or SJB will flag certain faults to the PCM and in turn the PCM will turn on the check engine light or wrench light depending on the code. Even if there are informational codes stored in the PCM the BCM and SJB codes still need to be retrieved to know what actual system is at fault. For instance if the there was a battery over temp concern the BCM would store codes in the BCM for whatever system it sees causing it (rear bend door failure) (auxiliary coolant pump failure) (battery cooling fan failure) and so on.If the BCM determines the vehicle needs to be shut down it will alert the PCM and the PCM will illuminate the check engine light, the wrench light and command the instrument cluster message center to display the "stop safely now" message and the PCM will also store codes that engine shut down was requested etc...but not the root fault codes from the BCM or the SJB - whatever the case may be. Hope this helps.