Lurch
Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience:  Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

disable or reset the security system on my 2001 ford explorer Sport?

How do you disable or reset the security system on my 2001 Ford Explorere Sport?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Lurch replied 2 years ago.

If this is Factory Alarm:

Unlocking the Door with Key or Remote "DisArms" the Factoryb Alarm
If the "THEFT" Light is flashing, & you have "ONE" Key, then the PATS Unit & Key will need to be Programmed via Dealer Scan Tool as "Master Key"
If you have "2" Keys, try the other key
If "both" Keys do not start & the "THEFT" Light continues to flash, then the PATS Unit needs to be tested

apprx 1 hour labor

If the "THEFT" Light is NOT Flashing & just the Horn & Lights are triggered,
Be sure Battery is fully charged
Close Hood
Lock & close all doors
Leave Undisturbed for apprx 15 minutes

Unlock with Key or Remote

Start vehicle

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I already know what your expert answered. That doesn't work. I need to know how to reset the alarm if the key does not work. How do you disable the system permanently?
Expert:  Lurch replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.

??

I already know what your expert answered. That doesn't work.

How would I know what you know or have tried............?

I need to know how to reset the alarm if the key does not work.

There is NO Reset............
You can only Arm or DisArm as I stated above........

How do you disable the system permanently?

You "cannot" Disable "Permanently, as many components are connected thru the Alarm & the Alarm is part of the PCM

You can find the DARK GREEN / PURPLE (-) wire located in the Driver Kick Panel / Door Boot
Ground the DARK GREEN / PURPLE (-) wire
This will DisArm the Factory Alarm until the Ground is removed

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will grounding the green/purple wire and keep it grounded, will this let me start the car ?
Expert:  Lurch replied 2 years ago.

I can only answer from the info you supply.........
YOu have NOT indicated if the "THEFT" Light or Security Light on dash is flashing when trying to start........

If it is, then NO, grounding the Will grounding the green/purple wire will serve no purpose, as the PATS Unit & Key needs to be Tested & Programmed via Dealer Scan Tool

If it is NOT Flashing & the only issue is the Alarm (horn), then yes grounding the green/purple wire will DisArm the Factory Alarm (not PATS) & should allow starting, if there is no other issues

Lurch, Ford Cert.
Experience: Ford Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years