Doctor D
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 20 Years Experience,
5480360

My battery light kept coming..lights would dim when it came..new one

My battery light kept coming on and off and the lights would dim when it came on. Took altenator in and had checked and everything tested fine. But I bought a new one anyway. Installed the new one and the battery light would come on when I accelerated then go off. That lasted two weeks and now it's back to off and on consistently. I drove 75 miles yesterday with it on the whole time and it dimmed my headlights but didn't drain my battery. And went off at real low rpms. Any clues
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Doctor D replied 2 years ago.

Doctor D :

Doctor D :

I've had LOTS of problems with aftermarket Alternators on Fords. So much so that i will not even install them any more. I only use genuine Motorcraft Alternators. I know thats not what you might want to hear, but please install a Ford Motorcraft Alternator and watch your problem be fixed :)

I don't now what engine you have but a 4.6 takes GL497RM

Doctor D :

5.4L GL508RM

And Amazon has great deals on Motorcraft parts by the way

Doctor D :

Amazon link

Customer: The original one I took out that tested good at Napa was a Motorcraft. It tested good so I put it back in. Problem kept up. Everybody I talked to said it was still altenator so I replaced it with new one. Problem quit for a coue weeks other than spiking on the voltage gauge at 3200+ rpm till let off gas. Then started right back the way it was in the beginning.
Customer: It had the original Motorcraft I'm it that napa tested good when all these problems started. It tested good so I put it back in and light kept on and slow drainage of the battery continued. Everybody said the same thing that it has to be the altenator so I bought a new one. Problem went away for two weeks other than voltage gauge spiking at 3200+ rpm untill let of gas. Then after two weeks right back where I started.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Doctor D replied 2 years ago.
Can I get the engine and 8th digit of your vin so I can pull a schematic?
Doctor D, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master, 20 Years Experience,